We’re just two weeks away from the denouement of 2015, and that can only mean one thing: all the end-of-year listicles you can handle.
Here’s a good one: the videos which consumers clicked the most throughout the year on the world’s biggest and fastest-growing major streaming service, YouTube.
Wiz Khalifa takes the worldwide top spot with a huge 1.26 billion views of his single featuring Charlie Puth, ‘See You Again’ – as featured in the Fast & The Furious 7 movie.
See You Again reached over 1 billion views in just 6 months, and has over 450 million more views than 2014’s number one, Katy Perry’s ‘Dark Horse’.
Adele’s Hello reached the year’s top 10 in just a few weeks, and now rests at No.5 with 740m views.
The channels of the top 10 music videos collectively have more than 66 million subscribers
And here’s a stat for you: People spent over 37,000 years playing the below in 2015.
Below we take a look at each track’s play-count tally so far this year, but also their labels/corporate groups in the US market.
Taking into account US distribution/licensing deals, Sony and Warner claim three tracks each, including WMG-signed No.1 See You Again. (These figures also includes Adele’s Hello, which is issued via Columbia/Sony in the US market but on Beggars/XL around the world.)
Universal is the dominant party in the Top 10 with four tracks: Maroon 5’s Sugar, Ellie Goulding’s Love Me Like You Do, Taylor Swift’s Bad Blood and Silento’s Watch Me.
YouTube’s 10 most-viewed music videos of 2015 – global
- Wiz Khalifa – See You Again ft. Charlie Puth (1.257bn plays). Label: Atlantic/Warner.
- Maroon 5 – Sugar (929.3m plays). Label: Interscope/Universal.
- Major Lazer & DJ Snake – Lean On (feat. MØ) (919m plays). Label: Mad Decent via Warner.
- Ellie Goulding – Love Me Like You Do (862.5m). Label: Republic/Universal
- Adele – Hello (739.6m). Label: XL/Beggars via Columbia/Sony (US)..
- Taylor Swift – Bad Blood ft. Kendrick Lamar (671.1m). Label: Big Machine via Universal.
- David Guetta – Hey Mama ft. Nicki Minaj, Bebe Raxha & Afrojack (524.2m). Label: Parlophone/Atlantic/Warner.
- Fifth Harmony – Worth It ft. Kid Ink (503.5m). Label: Syco/Epic/Sony
- Silento – Watch Me (Whip/Nae-Nae) (490.4m). Label: Capitol/Universal.
- Sia – Elastic Heart feat. Shia LaBeouf & Maddie Ziegler (478.7m). Label: Monkey Puzzle via RCA/Sony.
Music Business Worldwide