British writers have been behind some of the biggest standout smashes of the past 12 months – but which song is the greatest of the year?
That question will be answered on Tuesday, November 5 in London at MBW’s A&R Awards, the annual, UK-focused ceremony which celebrates the industry’s signing, development and creation of music.
A new category for 2019, Song Of The Year, will recognise the songwriters and publishers behind the best pop composition released in the period.
Like the majority of categories at the A&R Awards 2019, Song Of The Year – supported by Hipgnosis Songs Fund – will be voted for by Music Business Worldwide‘s network of over 100 senior A&R professionals and experts from across the world.
To qualify for the shortlist of five, songs had to be majority-written by UK writers, have landed within the Top 5 of the Official Singles Chart and have been released as a recorded piece of music after September 30, 2018.
Today (September 19), we can reveal the Song Of The Year nominees:
Crown, performed by Stormzy
- Released: June 21, 2019
- Writers: Michael Omari, James Napier, MJ Cole
- Publishers: Warner/Chappell, Downtown
Don’t Call Me Up, performed by Mabel
- Released: January 18, 2019
- Writers: Mabel McVey, Steve Mac, Camille Purcell
- Publishers: Universal Music Publishing Group, BMG
Giant, performed by Calvin Harris & Rag N Bone Man
- Released: January 11, 2019
- Writers: Calvin Harris, Rory Graham, Jamie Hartman, Troy Miller
- Publishers: Sony/ATV, Warner/Chappell, Reservoir, Bucks
Someone You Loved, performed by Lewis Capaldi
- Released: November 8, 2018
- Writers: Lewis Capaldi, TMS, Sam Roman
- Publishers: BMG, Sony/ATV
Thursday, performed by Jess Glynne
- Released: October 11, 2018
- Writers: Jess Glynne, Steve Mac, Ed Sheeran
- Publishers: BMG, Sony/ATV, Universal Music Publishing Group
Finalists for The A&R Awards 2019 will be announced tomorrow, selected by MBW’s global network of esteemed industry executives.
The A&R Awards in association with Abbey Road Studios returns to the De Vere Grand Connaught Rooms in central London on the evening of November 5.
Platinum tables for the A&R Awards 2019 are now (genuinely) very nearly sold out. A handful of Gold tables are still available.
We are selling tables on a first-come-first-served basis, so please contact Dave@musicbizworldwide.com to lock yours in.
To enquire about remaining sponsorship opportunities on the night, please also contact Dave@musicbizworldwide.com.
Merck Mercuriadis, Founder of the Hipgnosis Songs Fund Limited, said: “We believe that the song is the currency on which the entire worldwide music business revolves, so we are delighted to be involved in helping to recognize the Song Of The Year for the first time ever – along with the incredible songwriters responsible for creating it.”Music Business Worldwide