The National Music Publishers Association has confirmed the songwriters – and the publishers – behind the 265 Gold & Platinum-certified tracks handed out by the RIAA in the US in June.
In partnership with the RIAA’s Gold & Platinum Program, NMPA finds and certifies the songwriters of RIAA-certified singles.
RIAA counts both sales and on-demand streams towards its gold (500K), platinum (1M) and multi-platinum (2M+) thresholds.
Brent Smith, lead writer for Shinedown, was at No.1 in the songwriters list, while Warner/Chappell – led by CEO & Chairman Jon Platt (pictured) – was the leading publisher.
The month’s top songwriter with 10 certifications was Brent Smith:
- 45, certified Gold and Platinum;
- Sound of Madness, certified Gold and Platinum;
- If You Only Knew, certified Platinum;
- Save Me, Diamond Eyes, Devour, The Crow & The Butterfly, and Bully, all certified Gold (Shinedown).
Other songwriters with top certifications included:
Wiz Khalifa with 8 certifications:
- See You Again, certified Multi-Platinum (Wiz Khalifa feat. Charlie Puth)
- You and Your Friends, certified Gold (Wiz Khalifa feat. Snoop Dogg)
- Medicated certified Gold (Wiz Khalifa feat. Chevy Woods & Juicy J)
- Roll Up, certified Multi-Platinum
- Black and Yellow, certified Multi-Platinum
- On My Level, certified Platinum
- We Dem Boyz, certified Gold and Platinum (Wiz Khalifa).
The Weeknd with 7 certifications:
- Low Life, certified Platinum (Future feat. the Weeknd)
- Acquainted, certified Gold and Platinum (The Weeknd)
- In the Night, certified Gold and Platinum (The Weeknd)
- Might Not, certified Gold (The Weeknd)Hallelujah certified Gold (Panic! at the Disco).
Aaquil Brown, Khalif Brown and Michael Williams with 7 certifications each:
- No Type, certified Multi-Platinum
This Could Be Us, Throw Sum Mo, and Come Get Her, all certified Gold and Platinum (Rae Sremmurd).
Spencer Smith and Brendon Urie with 7 certifications each:
- Lying is the Most Fun a Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off, certified Gold and Platinum
- I Write Sins Not Tragedies, certified Multi-Platinum
- Nine in the Afternoon, certified Platinum
The Only Difference Between Martyrdom and Suicide is Press Coverage, The Ballad of Mona Lisa, and But It’s Better If You Do, all certified gold (Panic! at the Disco).
The top publishers honored included:
1) Warner/Chappell: 83 certifications
2) SONY/ATV Music Publishing: 80 certifications
3) Universal Music Publishing Group (UMPG): 33 certifications
4) Kobalt Music: 28 certifications
5) SONGS Music Publishing: 19 certifications
6) BMG: 8 certifications
7) Wrensong Publishing: 5 certifications (Platinum)
Big Deal Music: 3 certifications
The Administration MP: 1 certification (Gold)
Downtown Music Publishing Group: 1 certification (Multi-Platinum)
HoriPro Entertainment: 1 certification (Platinum)
Imagem: 1 certification (Platinum)
Pulse Music Publishing: 1 certification (Gold)
Round Hill Music: 1 certification (Gold)
Wixen Music: 1 certification (Gold)
Words & Music Administration: 1 certification (Gold)Music Business Worldwide