The trade body built to protect independent labels in the US, A2IM, is seeking a “highly intelligent and charismatic” new leader to replace Rich Bengloff, who is stepping down as President this summer.
A2IM said that its members were “incredibly grateful to Rich for the foundation he’s built”.
The organisation is now seeking “a highly intelligent and charismatic leader who possesses a keen understanding of the music industry”.
It adds: “The President & CEO must be fully committed to the mission of A2IM and demonstrate the highest possible standards of integrity, determination and courage.”
A2IM, which celebrates its 10 year anniversary in 2015, has appointed Molly Neuman as interim President as it searches for a full-time successor to Bengloff (pictured).
It confirmed the election of three new members to its board of directors in May: Beggars Group boss Martin Mills, INgrooves Music Group EVP Amy Dietz and Secretly Group co-founder Darius Van Arman.
Bengloff’s achievements over his eight-year tenure included tripling the membership and revenues of A2IM, which today looks out for 360 labels and over 150 service providers.
“The new president must be fully committed to the mission of A2IM and demonstrate integrity, determination and courage.”
Other ideal characteristics of the new A2IM boss are listed as:
- Substantial years of experience within the music and/or entertainment industries, and/or working on behalf of creative rights holders.
- Well-rounded, cross-functional executive experience with depth in one or more of the legal, marketing, financial, entrepreneurial or artist management fields.
- Visionary understanding of the trends in technology, social media, rights and globalization that affect the independent music industry.
- A work style that is highly consultative yet decisive, that is creative yet pragmatic.
- Strong communication, mediation and facilitation skills, including consistent and careful listening skills combined with well-honed trust building skills.
- Ability to travel frequently on behalf of A2IM.
The departing Rich Bengloff noted: “I considered my tenure as A2IM president as the greatest personal and professional honor of my career and thank our members for their trust and faith in me and the A2IM staff.
“But believing in term limits, as exists for the A2IM board, it’s time for a fresh look. While the search for the next President ensues I will be advising and consulting during the transition and I hope to keep in touch with many of our members going forward.
“I especially would like to thank the A2IM staff for their hard work and achievements, especially the two longest-serving A2IM employees, Jim Mahoney who served the A2IM community for seven years with A2IM and now serves via Merlin, and Jen Masset who for over six years has and continues to serve the A2IM community.
“I wish the A2IM staff and all our A2IM members all the best always.“Music Business Worldwide