The full list of nominations for the 2018 Grammys have been announced – and given short shrift to the biggest song ever released on Spotify.
Ed Sheeran’s Shape Of You, co-written by Sheeran with Steve Mac and Johnny McDaid, has missed out in both the Record Of The Year and Song Of The Year categories.
Shape of you is Sheeran’s most successful track of all time, with over 1.45bn streams on Spotify alone.
It’s No.1 in the all-time ranks on the Swedish service – ahead of Drake’s One Dance (1.36bn) and The Chainsmokers’ Closer (1.16bn).
But that’s not enough for The Grammys.
The Record of the Year Grammy will instead be fought out by:
- Childish Gambino’s Redbone
- Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee’s Despacito (feat Justin Bieber)
- Jay Z’s The Story of O.J
- Kendrick Lamar’s HUMBLE
- Bruno Mars’ 24k Magic.
The Song of the Year shortlist at The Grammys 2018 also shuns Shape Of You. It instead includes:
- Despacito (Ramón Ayala, Justin Bieber, Jason “Poo Bear” Boyd, Erika Ender, Luis Fonsi & Marty James Garton)
- 4:44 by Jay Z (Shawn Carter & Dion Wilson)
- Issues by Julia Michaels (Benny Blanco, Mikkel Storleer Eriksen, Tor Erik Hermansen, Julia Michaels & Justin Tranter)
- 1-800-273-8255 by Alessia Cara & Khalid (Alessia Caracciolo, Sir Robert Bryson Hall II, Arjun Ivatury & Khalid Robinson)
- Bruno Mars’ That’s What I Like (Christopher Brody Brown, James Fauntleroy, Philip Lawrence, Bruno Mars, Ray Charles McCullough II, Jeremy Reeves, Ray Romulus & Jonathan Yip).
Sheeran also misses out in the last of ‘Big 3’ Grammy categories, with the Album Of The Year shortlist overlooking his third LP, Divide.
Album Of The Year will instead go to either:
- Childish Gambino’s Awaken, My Love!
- Jay-Z’s 4:44
- Kendrick Lamar’s DAMN
- Lorde’s Melodrama
- Bruno Mars’s 24K Magic.
Shape Of You does get a nomination, however, in the lesser Grammy category of Best Pop Solo Performance, where it will go up against Kelly Clarkson’s Love So Soft, Kesha’s Praying, Lady Gaga’s Million Reasons and P!nk’s What About Us.
The Best New Artist category will be duked out by Alessia Cara, Khalid, Lil Uzi Vert, Julia Michaels and SZA.
JAY-Z is the most-nominated artist at The Grammys 2018 with eight nods: Album of the Year, Record of the Year, Song of the Year and Best Rap Album.
The Grammys will take place at Madison Square Garden in New York City on Sunday, January 28.Music Business Worldwide