Merlin, the global digital rights agency for the independent sector, has confirmed a partnership with Asia’s leading music streaming service, KKBOX.
The body’s first ever pan-Asian specific deal, covers KKBOX’s home territory of Taiwan, as well as Japan, Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand.
It will bring the music of Merlin’s independent members to KKBOX’s 10m users and 2m subscribers.
KKBOX has operated a subscription music streaming service since October 2004 and its catalogue currently features over 20 million tracks.
Merlin’s 20,000 label and distributor members command around a 10% share of the US and global recorded music markets.
Merlin CEO Charles Caldas said: “Merlin is a truly global organisation, and we are delighted to be breaking new ground via our partnership with KKBOX. This deal will enable Merlin members around the world to capitalise on the huge appetite for independent music across South East Asia.”
Josephine Cheng, Senior Vice President of KKBOX (pictured with Caldas) said: “We are very excited to partner with Merlin. By bringing some of the world’s best independent labels to KKBOX this deal will hugely enrich our members’ music experiences. We continue to be committed to empower independent labels and artists to distribute and promote their music through our platform.”
Leading independent music companies covered by the new Merlin deal include:
- Beggars Group – Bon Iver, Jack White, The National, Queens of the Stone Age
- Cooking Vinyl – Billy Bragg, Marilyn Manson, The Prodigy
- Domino – Animal Collective, Anna Calvi, Arctic Monkeys
- Epitaph – Bad Religion, Tom Waits, Wilco
- !K7 – Tricky, Fat Freddy’s Drop
- Kobalt Label Services – Lenny Kravitz, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
- Merge – Arcade Fire, Caribou
- [PIAS] – Editors, Enter Shikari, Soulwax
- Razor & Tie – HIM, Yellowcard
- Warp – Aphex Twin, Brian Eno, Grizzly Bear
Music Business Worldwide