DEPARTMENT: Wolves Records
REPORTS TO: Wolves Records Board
LOCATION: Molineux Stadium
HOURS: 37.5 hours
DATE: October 2023
We are Wolves Records – a brand new record label changing the way things are done. We introduce the freshest new talent direct to a global fanbase.
Wolves Records is an ambitious and unique proposition aligning two of the world’s most dedicated and engaged audiences of music and sports, with the aim of giving unprecedented exposure to emerging artists.
The label’s initial focus will be on nurturing and developing talent local to the Midlands and investing in the regeneration of music in the city of Wolverhampton. The bigger ambition is a much broader reach across international artists of all styles and genres.
We take seriously our commitment to the safeguarding of children and adults at risk and to ensuring that Wolves is free from discrimination and harassment.
As Head of Label, you will be the primary point of contact for all services related to the label. You will be the driving force behind the signing of artists – working closely with the A&R and legal teams. You’ll oversee the production of music – working closely with the Modern Sky label services team. You’ll also control the budget for releasing and marketing of the songs, providing regular feedback to the label board.
- Day to day management of the A&R process, attending industry events and providing regular updates to the Label Board on targets.
- Working with Modern Sky’s legal team and 3rd party legal professionals to negotiate deal terms, in line with budgetary restrictions (this will include negotiation of recording, publishing and sync opportunities).
- Day to day management of the production process, working closely with ADA and Modern Sky to find producers, mixers and writers to create great music.
- Oversee the schedule of releases and ensure that adequate marketing & content resource is available internally to promote the songs (paying close attention to the club’s internal calendar of events).
- Oversee the business development opportunities for the label – working closely with the partnerships team, Sync team (including securing a publishing partner) and sourcing live events to maximise revenue opportunities for the label.
- Oversee the label P&L, managing the intricacies of spend to ensure that contractual obligations are fulfilled while also maintaining as much margin as possible in the release. • Reporting operational and P&L updates back to the Label board on a fortnightly basis.
- Success in this role will be based on the head of label’s ability to forge strong relations with artists, artist managers, production professionals and ADA’s distribution team.
- Compliance with Club policies
- Compliance with the Club’s health and safety procedures
- Compliance with the Club’s safeguarding policies
- To promote the Club’s values
- To work consistently to embed equality & diversity into the Club
- To undertake such other duties as may be reasonably expected
- To maintain professional conduct at all times
- Safeguarding: From time to time, this role will come into contact with children and/or vulnerable adults. This means that the post-holder is required to apply all relevant policies and uphold the Club’s commitment to safeguarding vulnerable people.
- Label Board
- Part time Head of A&R
- Modern Sky label management team
- ADA distribution team
- Internal marketing and media departments
- Internal legal and finance teams
- Internal partnerships team
Scope of job
This will be the first full time hire for the label. It will be an integral role in building credibility for the label among industry professionals and artists. Building relationships and trust with Modern Sky and Warner ADA, to acquire great artists and to access funding pots, will be a key part of success.
Ultimate success will be judged on the development and growth of the catalogue (number and quality of songs released). P&L success will be judged on the streaming performance of individual tracks against costs, and ancillary sales (live, sync, publishing and sponsorship).
General skills and attributes: more general characteristics e.g. flexibility, communication skills, team working etc
- Communication will be a key skill as building relations and trust among leading industry professionals will be paramount to success.
- Flexibility and the ability to learn on the job quickly.
- Resilience and the ability to bounce or pivot.
Experience: proven record of experience in a particular field, profession or specialism.
- Experience of working with high performing professionals in the music industry.
- A&R, legal and finance within a record label environment.
- Awareness of working with artists at different stages of their careers.
- Experience of negotiating with artists and companies to obtain the best deal terms possible for the label.
- Knowledge and experience of digital marketing channels within music
- Experience of securing sync and business opportunities for artists and label.
The level of educational, professional and/or occupational training required
- Educated to degree level in music, media or similar.