At Warner Music Group, we’re a global collective of music makers and music lovers, tech innovators and inspired entrepreneurs, game-changing creatives and passionate team members. Here, we know that each talent makes our collective bolder and brighter. We are guided by four core principles that underpin everything we do across all our diverse businesses:
- Music is Everything: Music is our passion, and we can never get enough. Tastes, trends, and tech will change, but great artists and songwriters will always be our driving force.
- Global Growth, Local Expertise: Music is a global language. Through communication and collaboration, our success can come from anywhere and translate everywhere.
- Innovation and Insight: Pushing the boundaries requires the best information and the boldest imagination. We use both to create the future.
- Empowered by People: Like the artists we serve and the music they make, our differences make us stronger. This is a place where every talent can belong and build a career.
We remain committed to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. We know it fosters a culture where you can truly belong, contribute, and grow. We encourage applications from people of any age, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, and any other characteristic or identity.
Consider a career at WMG and get the best of both worlds – an innovative global music company that retains the creative spirit of a nimble independent.
Job title: Vice President, Litigation
A little bit about our team:
WMG’s corporate Legal Department is located at corporate headquarters in NYC (and also in London) and supports WMG’s recorded music labels, music publishing companies and all operating companies and departments in various legal matters, including litigation and claims, digital licensing, mergers and acquisitions, anti-piracy, securities, compliance and employment.
Why this could be your next big break:
This position is a unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience in all aspects of the litigations and pre-litigation claims affecting a global music entertainment company and its affiliated record labels and music publishing companies.
In this role, you will not only handle some of the most cutting-edge legal issues facing the music industry, but you will also work closely with Legal & Business Affairs at the record labels and music publishing companies, Business Development, Brand Partnerships & Licensing, Marketing, Promotion, Finance, Insurance, People, Royalties, and many other departments to develop a well-rounded experience in the music industry.
Here you’ll get to:
- Engage and strategize with outside counsel in managing a large and diverse docket of litigations relating to the legal issues affecting the music industry, including copyright, artificial intelligence, name/image/likeness rights, trademark, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), fair use and defamation.
- Draft cease-and-desist letters, review and edit court filings, analyze recording agreements, music publishing agreements, and other agreements, and negotiate and draft settlement agreements.
- Provide legal advice and guidance to WMG’s record labels and music publishing companies and departments including Business Development, Brand Partnerships & Licensing, Marketing, Promotion, Finance, Insurance, People and Royalties.
- Investigate digital services, websites, mobile apps, and other businesses that use Warner Music Group sound recordings, musical compositions, and artwork without a license.
- Prepare quarterly reporting documents pertaining to litigations affecting the company.
- Interact with WMG’s internal business units, outside and opposing counsel, artist and songwriter representatives, music industry trade associations, and infringing services.
Rock star candidates will have
- A JD and active license to practice law in New York.
- 6+ years of experience practicing litigation with an emphasis on copyright law.
- Familiarity with music law and the various rights affecting sound recordings and musical compositions.
- Experience in negotiations.
- Strong interpersonal skills to successfully interface with outside attorneys, senior management, and internal employees.
- Self-motivation, with the ability to work independently, follow deadlines, effectively manage time, and multi-task.
- Excellent writing, communication, and organizational skills.
It would be music to our ears if you also had:
- Experience working on music copyright cases and/or cases involving recording agreements or music publishing agreements.
- Experience working in-house.
- A love of music.
As the home to 300 Elektra, Asylum, Atlantic, East West, FFRR, Fueled by Ramen, Nonesuch, Parlophone, Rhino, Roadrunner, Sire, Warner Records, Warner Classics, and several other of the world’s premier recording labels, Warner Music Group champions emerging artists and global superstars alike.
And our renowned publishing company, Warner Chappell Music, represents genre-spanning songwriters and producers through a catalogue of more than one million copyrights worldwide.
Redefining what it means to be a music company in the 21st century, our consumer brands include trend-setters like UPROXX, Songkick, HipHopDX, and EMP. We’re the home to WMX – the next generation services division that connects artists with fans and amplifies brands in creative, immersive, and engaging ways – and Alternative Distribution Alliance (ADA) – the ground-breaking global distribution company for independent artists and labels.
Together, we are Warner Music Group: Music With Vision & Voice.
Love this job and want to apply?
Click the “Apply” link at the top of the page, or apply directly with your LinkedIn. Applying with LinkedIn will import all of the information you put in your profile, but will still allow you to upload a resume and cover letter.
Don’t be discouraged if you don’t hear from us right away. We’re taking our time to review all resumes, and to find the best people for WMG.
Thanks for your interest in working for WMG. We love it here, and think you will, too.
Effective October 1st, this position will require being in the office 4 days a week. We believe that an in-office presence is critical for talent development, collaboration and building strong relationships.
Salary Range: $180,000 to $200,000 Annually
Salary ranges are included for job postings where required by law. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as work experience and business needs. The pay range is subject to change at any time dependent on a variety of internal and external factors.
WMG is committed to inclusion and diversity in all aspects of our business. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and will evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, marital status, medical condition as defined by state law (genetic characteristics or cancer), physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Copyright © 2023 Warner Music Inc.