We are Warner Music Group, home to a broad roster of new stars and legendary artists through a collection of the best-known record labels in the music industry including Asylum, Atlantic, Big Beat, Canvasback, East West, Elektra, Erato, FFRR, Fueled by Ramen, Nonesuch, Parlophone, Reprise, Rhino, Roadrunner, Sire, Spinnin’, Warner Records, Warner Classics, and Warner Music Nashville, as well as Warner Chappell Music, one of the world’s leading music publishers, with a catalog of more than one million copyrights worldwide.
Job title: Senior Director, New Business & Ventures
A little bit about our team:
New Business & Ventures is responsible for developing strategic initiatives and executing partnerships, content license deals, and investments to grow WMG’s distribution network and revenue beyond core music streaming by engaging music fans in scaled, culturally relevant digital platforms and communities through social and gaming use cases as well as immersive experiences. The team’s global mandate places it in the intersection of the rapidly evolving global digital media and consumer technology landscape, and as such, the team is charged with experimenting with emerging technologies and overseeing WMG’s relationships and initiatives within the startup ecosystem. Given its broad strategic objectives, New Business & Ventures works closely with teams across WMG’s various businesses, including Atlantic Records, Warner Records, international affiliates, WEA, ADA, and Warner Chappell.
Based in New York, this position is responsible for leading WMG’s platform license negotiations across the social, gaming, and streaming fitness spaces. Deals will incorporate innovative structures focused on new use cases and multimodal business models.
The role will be expected to participate in WMG’s startup initiatives, including WMG’s Boost venture fund and Techstars Music as well as maintaining active relationships with other investors. The ideal candidate for the role will have content licensing and investing experience.
Here you’ll get to:
- Lead cross-functional teams focused on negotiating and executing catalog license platform deals
- Support WMG’s startup initiatives, including actively participating in WMG Boost and Techstars Music and maintaining relationships with investors
- Monitor trends in the media and consumer tech ecosystem for the purpose of developing new strategic initiatives and providing guidance to senior management
- Partner with key stakeholders across the organization to identify and research new areas of opportunity for WMG’s artists and operating units
- Develop long term strategies focused on diversification of WMG’s revenue and capabilities
- Strong negotiating skills and an ability to effectively build and manage relationships with partners
- Proven ability leading deal and project-based teams
- Experience creating, presenting, and executing on new strategic initiatives
- A strong understanding of the broader digital media ecosystem and evolving consumer technology
- Established record in applying innovative approaches and structures to deal making
- Excellent analytical ability, written communication, and interpersonal skills
- Music content licensing experience is required
- Strong knowledge of digital media and consumer technology is required
- Experience working with and investing in startups is preferred
- Aptitude in project management and team leadership
- Demonstrated executive presence and self-management ability
- 10 years of relevant work experience