At Warner Music Group we’re all about our people. Our global company is made up of knowledgeable, passionate, and creative individuals. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion fosters a culture where you can truly belong, contribute, and grow. We believe in each individual’s value and encourage applications from people of any age, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, and any other characteristic or identity.
It is the mission of every member of the WMG team around the world to create a nurturing environment for artists, songwriters, and the people behind the music – at every stage of their career. We strive to set WMG apart by embracing innovation – an integral part of our company’s DNA.
Consider a career at WMG and be a part of one of the most influential forces in culture today.
A little bit about our team:
Legal and Business Affairs is here to assist in all legal aspects of the business and particularly with respect to the negotiation and drafting of contracts for the services of songwriters, subpublishers, collection societies or to administer catalogues. We assist anyone in the company who needs legal or business help or advice, including the teams dealing with synch licensing, theatrical licensing, digital deals, finance, admin and A&R.
Why this could be your next big break:
Reporting to the CEO and COO, this role will work closely with Business Strategy and Development, Global Administration, Global Digital Strategy and local MDs to provide strategies relating to WCM’s rights internationally. You will work with the MDs and FDs in all active WCM territories, excluding the US, to ensure that the collection societies are properly collecting and distributing income to WCM for our writers. You will also manage the strategy around, and the relationships with, third party sub-publishers internationally. The role will require joining with other music industry bodies to lobby governments and the European Commission, if necessary, to ensure that the value of copyright is not diminished. You will communicate with the CEO and COO about any changes in local laws or society rules which impact WCM. You will also have the opportunity to partner with the WMG International and Corporate teams to ensure that where appropriate, WCM is in alignment with Corporate Strategy and that statutory corporate obligations are met at WCM.
Here you’ll get to:
- Utilise industry knowledge and expertise to ensure WCM is proactive on any law changes
- Keep track of developments at Societies internationally, striving to ensure that WCM and its writers are being paid properly and that the Societies are behaving in accordance with the law and with their own distribution rules
- Ensure that WCM is GDPR compliant, liaising with WMG and their GDPR consultant where necessary
- Ensure WCM and its companies are correctly registered at ICO
- Work closely with the CEO, COO, Managing Directors internationally, the members of the Senior Leadership Team and the international subpublishers to address any legal and business issues arising and provide all necessary support in the legal process.
- Coordinate and lead regular meetings with Administration and Digital to ensure close alignment and collaboration across departments
- Recommend changes to business practices including relating to corporate entities, society membership agreements and third party subpublishers
- Ensure that a record of digital rights flow for all types of repertoire is maintained, finding any gaps in society digital licensing and working with EVP Digital Strategy to find solutions to plug these gaps
- Assist the CEO and COO where requested in relation to Emerging Markets and new territories
- Represent WCM at a senior level through membership of external committees and society Boards in the UK such as PRS and MPA and internationally such as ICMP and IMPA, attending committees organised by those entitiesto ensure that the legal and financial interests of WCM are protected
- Follow up on projects leading from all Boards/Committees where necessary
- Assist ICMP and other bodies internationally, if possible, with legal aspects of proposed changes
- Assist the music industry bodies in their lobbying pertaining to copyright laws and other legislation affecting the business internationally.
- Acquire and/or maintaining effective relationships both internally (to include staff in the UK and at the offices of WCM’s affiliates, WMG International and Corporate) and externally (to include third party sub-publishers, key employees and CEOs at Societies internationally and members of Boards, committees and other industry meetings)
Provide support to WCM affiliates on general and specific queries particularly in relation to their societies, assisting local MDs when they need help with their local society
- Responsible for overseeing and spearheading an active strategy for WCM and its international society and sub-publisher relations, working closely with, the local MDs, and particularly with SVP Global Administration, VP
- Regional European Administration and EVP Global Digital Strategy
- Provide a strategic approach to WCM’s international framework including sub-publishers and local collection societies
- Advise on and negotiate commercial and legal terms of sub-publishing agreements on a territory-by-territory basis
- You are ideally a qualified solicitor/barrister with significant post qualification experience working in music publishing and/or have expert knowledge of music copyright laws and an in-depth understanding of collection societies (Legal qualification is preferred)
- You have experience working with international societies
- You shall have an extensive network of international industry and society contacts at senior levels
- You have a high level of emotional intelligence and can read between the lines in meetings and negotiations, levelling the appropriate approach in order to get the job done as quickly and painlessly as possible
- You have an ability to negotiate and draft complicated deals
- You have great communication skills, an ability to recognize new business opportunities and to assist in bringing them to fruition
- The role will require travel occasionally
With its broad and diverse roster of new stars and legendary artists, Warner Music Group is home to a collection of the best-known record labels in the music industry including Asylum, Atlantic, East West, Elektra, FFRR, Fueled by Ramen, Nonesuch, Parlophone, Rhino, Roadrunner, Sire, Warner Records, Warner Classics and Warner Chappell Music, one of the world’s leading music publishers with a catalogue of more than one million copyrights worldwide.
For more than four decades, WMG has been an industry-leading force in providing a world-class array of services designed to help artists and labels grow their careers and their businesses. Artist & Label Services is the umbrella for WEA (Warner-Elektra-Atlantic) – the pioneering WEA distribution and marketing network – and Alternative Distribution Alliance (ADA) – the ground-breaking global distribution company for independent artists and labels.