With its broad and diverse roster of new stars and legendary artists, Warner Music Group is home to a collection of the best-known record labels in the music industry including Asylum, Atlantic, East West, Elektra, FFRR, Fueled by Ramen, Nonesuch, Parlophone, Rhino, Roadrunner, Sire, Warner Bros., Warner Classics and Warner/Chappell Music, one of the world’s leading music publishers with a catalogue of more than one million copyrights worldwide.
For more than four decades, WMG has been an industry-leading force in providing a world-class array of services designed to help artists and labels grow their careers and their businesses. Artist & Label Services is the umbrella for WEA (Warner-Elektra-Atlantic) – the pioneering WEA distribution and marketing network – and Alternative Distribution Alliance (ADA) – the ground-breaking global distribution company for independent artists and labels.
Job Title: Head of Classics, UK
A little bit about our team:
Warner Classics is home to some of the most celebrated artists in the world of classical music today, including Sir Antonio Pappano, Joyce DiDonato, Renaud and Gautier Capuçon, Diana Damrau, Alison Balsom or the Ebene Quartet. It is also the home of exciting emerging talents, like Beatrice Rana, Martin James Bartlett, Eric Lu, Elsa Dreisig, Riopy and Jakub Jozef Orliński.
Warner Classics and Erato’s long and rich history is distinguished by an array of legendary artists who set new musical standards like Maria Callas, Herbert von Karajan, Yehudi Menuhin, Itzhak Perlman and Mstislav Rostropovich.
The Warner Classics UK team is tasked with developing and expanding the commercial and critical success of this high-quality and varied roster of artists.
The UK team works in close collaboration with the other UK based Commercial, Digital, Sync, Brand Partnership teams. It also works very closely with the repertoire center based in Paris and London, and oversees A&R, International Marketing and Promotion, Digital and Physical Operations, Finance and Legal Affairs.
- Define and pursue strategies to constantly improve Warner Classics’ profile and performance in the UK
- Identify and pursue non-recorded-income opportunities for Warner Classics artists and catalogue in the UK, such as Sync and Brand Partnerships
- Develop and establish long-term commercial and marketing partnerships in the UK (media, retail, brands, venues, other) in collaboration with both classic repertoire center and WMUK stakeholders
- In collaboration with the center’s A&R department, develop long-term artist-specific strategies to further establish Warner Classics’ artist roster in the UK
- Identify local repertoire opportunities to be pursued in collaboration with A&R
- Develop strategies to increase our artist’s / our label’s market share and audience reach in the UK, with a strong focus on digital platforms and streaming
- Work on budgets, campaigns and tools to successfully implement strategic initiatives for Warner Classics in the UK
- Work with colleagues to set objectives for artists and key projects
- Represent the label at concerts, events and BPI
- Establish relationships with artists, artists management, venues and other partners
- Lead the Classics UK team with two direct reports (Marketing, PR) and one dotted line report (Commercial). Responsible for performance and compensation reviews.
- Ensure innovation and creativity throughout all work, and stay up to date with changes in the market
- Keep a close eye on the local P&L, working with the leadership team and Finance to understand and optimize the department’s financial and commercial performance
- Work closely with the VP, Marketing to review the department marketing budget and make recommendations on how to invest marketing spend.
- Significant label / distribution / media / DSP experience, with an emphasis on marketing
- Existing relationships with key media
- Track record of managing productive relationships
- A specialist in planning and executing streaming-focused marketing campaigns
- Love of Classical Music
- Be motivated, creative, innovative, highly organized, detailed and able to multitask, while working under pressure
- Have strong management and people skills with the ability to drive projects to completion, and eager to have commercial success
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills
- Entrepreneurial mindset, have the ability to translate analysis into actionable strategy
- Have an exemplary knowledge of the digital and traditional media with an understanding of how it influences and moves popular culture
- Drive, initiative and enthusiasm
- Networker, ability to represent the business to external partners
- English essential, a second language (particularly French) desirable
Why join us?
Here at Warner Music Group we’re all about our people. We are one global company made up exclusively of knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people.
It is the mission of every member of the WMG team around the world to create a nurturing environment for artists, songwriters, and the people behind the music – at every stage of their career. We strive to set WMG apart by embracing a philosophy of innovation – it’s part of our company’s DNA.
Consider a career at WMG and be a part of one of the most influential forces in culture today.
Love this job and want to apply?
Click the “Apply” link at the top of the page, or apply directly with your LinkedIn. Applying with LinkedIn will import all of the information you put in your profile, but will still allow you to upload a resume and cover letter.
Don’t be discouraged if you don’t hear from us right away. We’re taking our time to review all resumes, and to find the best people for WMG.
Thanks for your interest in working for WMG. We love it here, and think you will, too.
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity and will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, race, color, creed, religion, ethnicity, national origin, alienage or citizenship, disability, marital status, familial status, military or veteran status, or any other legal recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.
We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the application or employment process, please send an e-mail to Recruitment@wmg.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.