At Warner Music Group we’re all about our people. Our global company is made up of knowledgeable, passionate, and creative individuals. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion fosters a culture where you can truly belong, contribute, and grow. We believe in each individual’s value and encourage applications from people of any age, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, and any other characteristic or identity.
It is the mission of every member of the WMG team around the world to create a nurturing environment for artists, songwriters, and the people behind the music – at every stage of their career. We strive to set WMG apart by embracing innovation – an integral part of our company’s DNA.
Consider a career at WMG and be a part of one of the most influential forces in culture today.
A little bit about our team:
The Director of Legal and Business Affairs will be responsible for overseeing and spearheading an active business affairs strategy for the label, working closely with the President and the A&R teams, as well as the SVP for Warner Music UK. This is a crucial role which requires energy and diligence to negotiate and close deals so as to match the ambition of the label to establish itself as the premier destination for music talent in the UK market. The Director will also need to be culturally “switched on” with their fingers on the pulse of new trends and emerging technologies using insights and data to properly understand the needs of both artist and label in the deal making process
Why this could be your next big break:
You will be at the forefront of the action in one of the UK`s leading labels. Part of the strategic leadership of one of the UK`s leading labels and immersed in the fast moving and competitive world of artist signings.
Here you’ll get to:
- Provide legal and business affairs support to the label President, Head of marketing and A&R team.
- Negotiating and drafting recording agreements for new signings – album deals, single deals, track based deals, profit shares, bespoke complex agreements.
- Re-negotiations of recording agreements.
- Deal approval process, depending on size of transaction.
- Label deals with independent companies, or A&R providers of talent.
- Drafting of merchandising agreements in support of the Artist Services team.
- Direct to Consumer support e.g. ticket bundling.
- High value brand deals involving WR UK artists.
- Consultancy agreements for A&R talent.
- Working with the finance department in respect of deal analysis / P&Ls for new signings, re-negotiations, option pick-ups and option declines.
- Termination of recording agreements.
- Agreements for audio visual programs.
- Agreements with third party production companies/broadcasters for TV rights (e.g. Biffy special for MTV).
- Overseeing diary of option dates.
- Managing WBR business affairs manager and co-managing (with Atlantic Business Affairs VP) business affairs executive.
- Ad hoc queries from marketing, royalties and other areas of the business.
- Reports to SVP Legal and Business Affairs, Warner Music UK.
- Diligent qualified lawyer (min 4 years PQE) with ability to work under pressure, and to bring complex negotiations to agreement.
- Prior experience within a music business with a keen interest in and knowledge of developments in the recorded music market.
- Ability to work with artist representatives to close long form agreements in a timely manner.
- Ability to keep senior management informed of progress at all times.
- Commercially minded, ability to understand sensitivities and financial commitments etc.
It would be music to our ears if you also had:
Direct experience of negotiating Artist and track deals, on either side of the transaction.
With its broad and diverse roster of new stars and legendary artists, Warner Music Group is home to a collection of the best-known record labels in the music industry including Asylum, Atlantic, East West, Elektra, FFRR, Fueled by Ramen, Nonesuch, Parlophone, Rhino, Roadrunner, Sire, Warner Records, Warner Classics and Warner Chappell Music, one of the world’s leading music publishers with a catalogue of more than one million copyrights worldwide.
For more than four decades, WMG has been an industry-leading force in providing a world-class array of services designed to help artists and labels grow their careers and their businesses. Artist & Label Services is the umbrella for WEA (Warner-Elektra-Atlantic) – the pioneering WEA distribution and marketing network – and Alternative Distribution Alliance (ADA) – the ground-breaking global distribution company for independent artists and labels.