WMG’s top priority is the safety and wellbeing of its team members, artists and songwriters across the globe. In response to COVID-19, WMG is fully committed to helping its people balance their home and life commitments with flexible working options, virtual wellness sessions, and more. WMG strives to maintain a COVID-free workplace. To that end, being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 is a condition of employment for all US new employees, prior to the commencement of employment. If you are hired, you will be required to provide proof of your vaccination as part of your new employee onboarding process, subject to our legal obligation to make reasonable accommodations in certain limited circumstances.
At Warner Music Group, we’re a global collective of music makers and music lovers, tech innovators and inspired entrepreneurs, game-changing creatives and passionate team members. Here, we know that each talent makes our collective bolder and brighter. We are guided by four core principles that underpin everything we do across all our diverse businesses:
- Music is Everything: Music is our passion, and we can never get enough. Tastes, trends, and tech will change, but great artists and songwriters will always be our driving force.
- Global Growth, Local Expertise: Music is a global language. Through communication and collaboration, our success can come from anywhere and translate everywhere.
- Innovation and Insight: Pushing the boundaries requires the best information and the boldest imagination. We use both to create the future.
- Empowered by People: Like the artists we serve and the music they make, our differences make us stronger. This is a place where every talent can belong and build a career.
We remain committed to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. We know it fosters a culture where you can truly belong, contribute, and grow. We encourage applications from people of any age, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, and any other characteristic or identity.
Consider a career at WMG and get the best of both worlds – an innovative global music company that retains the creative spirit of a nimble independent.
Job Title: Producer/Composer for Warner Chappell Production Music / Los Angeles
A little bit about our team:
Warner Chappell Production Music (WCPM) is a global leader within the production and custom music industry with over 35 years of experience and success. Based in Los Angeles with offices around the globe, WCPM is owned by legendary music publisher Warner Chappell Music and is part of the Warner Music Group family. WCPM releases over 350 new albums per year across all music genres via its sync licensing catalog which includes 135,000+ unique tracks. In addition, WCPM produces custom music including custom music-for-picture from its two studios located in Nashville and Los Angeles. Our client base runs deeply across all media including TV, theatrical, streaming, advertising and news. As a full-time Producer/Composer working out of Los Angeles, you will report to WCPM’s Head of Production and be a key player in helping us expand our custom music-for-picture division and in-house composing cabilities.
As an integral part of WCPM’s small but bustling music production team, you will work from our brand new state-of-the-art recording studios in Hollywood and report directly to the U.S. Head of Production. Your duties will be split between composing and executive producing as well as helping to spearhead our custom music-for-picture endeavors. You will help maintain our strong production values and creative standards through your own compositions for custom music and the library as well as through your oversight of freelance composers and producers providing music and sound design services. You will be instrumental in helping WCPM expand it’s custom music client base.
Here you’ll get to:
- You will help spearhead the expansion of our custom music division which includes active participation in client presentations and pitches and coordinating growth strategies with our licensing, marketing and executive teams (may involve travel);
- You will act as an in-house composer providing music as needed for the WCPM library as well as our custom clients including music-for-picture and custom library projects under the direction of creative executives;
- You will act as executive producer as needed recommending and overseeing appropriate freelance composers, songwriters and producers for both library and custom music while maintaining WCPM’s consistently high standards;
- You will use your talent network for sourcing composers, musicians, vocalists, music editors, orchestrators, arrangers, etc. for various custom and library projects as needed;
- As executive producer, you will provide creative briefs, detailed and timely feedback, review of demos and mixes, ideas for cover art and will work with the production team to ensure quality control prior to delivery;
- As composer, you will provide demos as appropriate for custom music projects that may be competitive, internally or externally, and you will further provide top-of-class client service for demos that move to the final stages, whether yours or another composer’s;
- As composer, you will work with our in-house music library search team to steer playlist direction as it best compliments any custom music we are providing;
- You will actively participate in creative decisions with regard to WCPM’s music projects including bringing fresh ideas and suggestions to the table and offering feedback on music submissions;
- You will work closely with our creative, legal, engineering, accounting and licensing teams to ensure projects are managed professionally and effectively with timely and accurate delivery;
- You will develop and maintain strong working relationships with clients , potential clients and composers to ensure their needs are being fully supported and to keep WCPM top of mind;
- You will provide ongoing suggestions and ideas for continual streamlining of efficiencies including production workflow, archiving, delivery formats and the like.
- You have proven experience composing to picture whether for tv, advertising and/or film;
- You have experience working with and/or overseeing composers and producers;
- You have strong interpersonal skills and experience working with and pitching to clients including conducting creative meetings and overseeing recording sessions to picture with clients in attendance;
- You have demonstrated high aesthetic and technical standards commensurate with WCPM’s high quality products and services;
- You have experience negotiating fees and compiling production budgets;
- You have strong knowledge of recording studio operations including a working knowledge of the duties of the engineering staff, technical support staff, studio assistants, music editors, copyists and related positions;
- You have strong experience in composing and/or producing in a variety of genres ranging from orchestral to hip hop to country to swing to pop and beyond;
- You have a good understanding of publishing, master and sync rights;
- Above all, you are a team player who thrives on a collaborative, creative environment with colleagues who are working toward a shared vision.
We’d love it if you also had:
- A network of highly-skilled freelance music professionals at your disposal from musicians and singers to composers, editors, string arrangers, contractors, etc.;
- A strong awareness and proclivity for all things pop culture-related including film, tv and advertising trends and the general music scene;
- Musician skills on multiple instruments;
- Strong experience with studio recording;
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills.
As part of our ongoing rebrand and restructure, you will be filling a brand new position for WCPM which straddles various disciplines and provides an opportunity to help shape our future and collaborate with various teams to achieve our expansion goals. This is a highly visible, creative position that also calls upon good people skills and excellent organization to boot. We expect you will bring a lot to the party but also know there are many opportunities to hone your expertise as we embark on new types of projects and initiatives. We are a dedicated, passionate team in the midst of exciting transition and growth and welcome like-minded over achievers!