WMG’s top priority is the safety and wellbeing of its team members, artists and songwriters across the globe. In response to COVID-19, WMG is fully committed to helping its people balance their home and life commitments with flexible working options, virtual wellness sessions, and more. WMG strives to maintain a COVID-free workplace. To that end, being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 is a condition of employment for all US new employees, prior to the commencement of employment. If you are hired, you will be required to provide proof of your vaccination as part of your new employee onboarding process, subject to our legal obligation to make reasonable accommodations in certain limited circumstances.
At Warner Music Group, we’re a global collective of music makers and music lovers, tech innovators and inspired entrepreneurs, game-changing creatives and passionate team members. Here, we know that each talent makes our collective bolder and brighter. We are guided by four core principles that underpin everything we do across all our diverse businesses:
- Music is Everything: Music is our passion, and we can never get enough. Tastes, trends, and tech will change, but great artists and songwriters will always be our driving force.
- Global Growth, Local Expertise: Music is a global language. Through communication and collaboration, our success can come from anywhere and translate everywhere.
- Innovation and Insight: Pushing the boundaries requires the best information and the boldest imagination. We use both to create the future.
- Empowered by People: Like the artists we serve and the music they make, our differences make us stronger. This is a place where every talent can belong and build a career.
We remain committed to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. We know it fosters a culture where you can truly belong, contribute, and grow. We encourage applications from people of any age, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, and any other characteristic or identity.
Consider a career at WMG and get the best of both worlds – an innovative global music company that retains the creative spirit of a nimble independent.
Job Title: Head Audio Engineer for Warner Chappell Production Music / Los Angeles, CA
A little bit about our team:
Warner Chappell Production Music (WCPM) is a global leader within the production and custom music industry with over 35 years of experience and success. Based in Los Angeles with offices around the globe, WCPM is owned by legendary music publisher Warner Chappell Music and is part of the Warner Music Group family. WCPM releases over 350 new albums per year across all music genres via its sync licensing catalog which includes 135,000+ unique tracks. Our clients include television, film, streaming, advertising, corporate and news. In addition, WCPM produces custom music for advertising, promos, trailers and television from its two studios located in Nashville and Los Angeles. As Head Audio Engineer working out of Los Angeles, you would report to WCPM’s VP Production and handle and oversee all in-house mixing, mastering, and recording including recording to picture with clients when appropriate.
As part of a recent company-wide rebrand, WCPM recently opened a brand new, mid-sized, state-of-the-art recording facility in Hollywood, CA to be near our production clients in the film/TV world. We are looking for a hands-on full-time mixing/recording engineer to join our small but bustling team of music producers, composers and crew to record, mix and master high-end music and sound design for both our music library and custom ‘to-picture’ clients. We pride ourselves on our high production standards, creativity and team spirit and welcome experienced, reliable candidates looking to help expand our creative reach.
Here you’ll get to:
- You will be responsible for in-house mixing and mastering of music and sound design (including timing, pitch correction, ‘cleaning’, stemming and creating submixes) for tracks created internally and externally for the WCPM library;
- You will be responsible for tracking/overdubbing live players and singers as needed in our midsize tracking room (10-12 players);
- You will be responsible for recording and mixing music-to-picture for and with custom clients;
- You will work with Project Manager and freelance Second Engineer to oversee prep and breakdown for recording sessions including arranging musicians, overseeing set-up/breakdown of needed equipment, cables and cues systems, preparing sessions and loading necessary files, testing and placement of microphones and other equipment;
- You will assist Project Manager with hiring of second engineers as needed;
- You will assist Composers and Project Manager as needed with prep for remote recording sessions (Budapest, Prague, UK, Nashville, etc.) including approving deliverables;
- You will work with Network Administrator to digitize, organize and create conversions of audio files as needed for archiving;
- You will work closely with VP Production with regard to quality control issues, equipment purchasing and upkeep, new technologies, etc.;
- You will coordinate and communicate with internal/external producers and composers with regard to mix approach and approvals;
- You will have the opportunity to provide creative input with regard to introducing new talent and projects to the team for consideration;
- You will work closely with custom clients to fulfill expectations and complete projects in a timely and efficient manner.
- You have at least five (5) years of first engineering experience preferably in a professional recording studio or similar music production company or as an in-demand freelance engineer;
- Must have in-depth experience recording/mixing a wide variety of musical genres and styles including orchestral, rock, hip hop, EDM, swing, underscore, sound design, pop, world, country, ambient, etc.
- You have demonstrated high aesthetic and technical standards commensurate with WCPM’s commitment to high-level quality of its product and services;
- You have experience with large format consoles with hands-on, problem-solving experience and knowledge of complex analog and digital signal routing;
- You are very proficient with Pro Tools (basic knowledge of Logic welcomed);
- You can read music and/or follow charts (being a musician a plus but not essential);
- You have basic knowledge of recording studio operations including a working knowledge of the duties of the engineering staff, technical support staff, studio assistants, music editors, copyists and related positions;
- You are a team player who puts service and clients first;
- You are flexible with working hours concerning occasional nighttime sessions;
- You have proven experience working ‘under the gun’ with clients and tight deadlines while remaining focused and calm;
- You are prompt and well-prepared for all sessions.
We’d love it if you also had:
- Experience with production libraries;
- B.A. in Music or Audio Studies;
- A network of music pros at your disposal including freelance music editors, 2nd engineers, top-notch orchestrators, arrangers, singers and musicians;
- Strong written/verbal communication skills;
- Are a musician.
As part of our ongoing rebrand, we also recently moved into a large multi-studio complex in Nashville, TN. On occasion you would be collaborating on various projects with our Nashville team as they can accommodate up to 35 players in the main studio there. You will be working with composers from around the globe on projects as diverse as orchestral trailer music to hip hop to swing to pop, country, ambient and beyond. We are launching several new catalogs in 2022 and welcome creative-minded individuals that, in addition to being a great engineer, can bring fresh music ideas, talent connections and a commitment to constantly improving our systems and protocol.