At Warner Music Group we’re all about our people. Our global company is made up of knowledgeable, passionate, and creative individuals. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion fosters a culture where you can truly belong, contribute, and grow. We believe in each individual’s value and encourage applications from people of any age, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, and any other characteristic or identity.
It is the mission of every member of the WMG team around the world to create a nurturing environment for artists, songwriters, and the people behind the music – at every stage of their career. We strive to set WMG apart by embracing innovation – an integral part of our company’s DNA.
Consider a career at WMG and be a part of one of the most influential forces in culture today.
Job Title: Legal and Business Affairs Manager, Warner Chappell
A little bit about our team:
Legal and Business Affairs is here to assist in all legal aspects of the business and particularly in respect of the negotiation and drafting of contracts for the services of songwriters or to administer catalogues. We should be prepared to assist anyone in the company who has a legal or business question or needs legal or business help or advice. This may include supporting teams dealing with synch licensing, theatrical licensing, digital deals, finance, admin, A&R, regulatory issues and copyright and other disputes.
Why this could be your next big break:
The Legal and Business Affairs Manager will be responsible for supporting the Head of Legal and Business Affairs and the Director of Legal and Business Affairs in providing a commercial, effective and compliant legal service to Warner Chappell Music UK. The Legal and Business Affairs Manager must partner closely with all other WCM departments, maintaining strong relationships with them. This is a key position in ensuring that the legal interests of WCM are protected in all scenarios and a very broad role where you must have the ability and mindset to get involved and try new things.
Here you’ll get to:
Maintain an effective legal framework for WCM
Acting as a member of the Legal and Business Affairs team, providing advice, negotiating competitive commercial terms and accurately drafting the following:
- Song acquisition agreements, including exclusive songwriter agreements, administration agreements, sub-publishing agreements, catalogue purchase agreements and amendments/extensions to such agreements;
- Licensing agreements, including synchronisation and theatrical agreements;
- Any additional/new exploitation agreements as and when the need arises.
- Managing the offer process for such agreements, coordinating where necessary between other departments and ensuring offers are submitted as quickly as possible.
- Corresponding with clients’/songwriters’ representatives in relation to contract requirements, including re-negotiations and offers to renew.
- Assisting with the options/end dates diary and administration arising therefrom.
- Advising internal and external clients on legal and commercial queries in connection with, for example, the interpretation of contracts, royalty/financial queries and copyright issues.
- Assisting with the management of any contentious issues, including copyright infringement, breach of contract and debt recovery, including drafting of letters.
- Working with external lawyers and monitoring any ongoing matters.
- Reviewing and negotiating record company controlled composition provisions.
- Conducting legal research as required and providing written summaries pertinent to establishing the company’s legal rights.
Providing a fast and responsive commercial legal service to WCM
- Supporting senior members of the Legal and Business Affairs team in the work of the department and providing all necessary support in the deal-making process.
- Ensuring that all synchronisation and other licensing agreements, sample agreements, letters of amendment and extension agreements are negotiated to reflect WCM commercial strategy.
- Supporting the Head of Legal and Business Affairs with additional projects as and when necessary.
Managing and developing effective relationships
- Assisting with new business/new forms of exploitation of the catalogue.
- Developing effective relationships with internal and external clients and networks throughout the international music community to be able to exert the necessary influence on the outcome of legal issues.
- Contributing effectively as a member of the Legal and Business Affairs team.
- Establishing effective working relationships with the WCM affiliates and sub-publishers and providing legal support on general and specific queries.
- A diligent newly-qualified lawyer (PQE 0 – 2 years).
- Able to negotiate and draft a variety of agreements in the best interests of WCM and in accordance with Warner Music Group commercial strategy and operational guidelines.
- Able to communicate and explain the significance of the terms of agreements to other departments within WCM UK or its affiliates, where necessary, prior to committing the company to a legally binding agreement.
- Capable of assisting with the management of disputes with external clients or other third parties and remaining measured in dealings with them resolving disputes amicably where possible.
- Able and willing to get involved with every aspect of the department’s work and open to developing new skills.
- Able to prioritise work effectively under pressure and adhere to deadlines whilst maintaining accuracy and an eye for detail.
It would be music to our ears if you also had:
- Some prior experience of the music industry and some of the relevant agreements (either within a law firm specialising in music work or through an in-house music team).
With its broad and diverse roster of new stars and legendary artists, Warner Music Group is home to a collection of the best-known record labels in the music industry including Asylum, Atlantic, East West, Elektra, FFRR, Fueled by Ramen, Nonesuch, Parlophone, Rhino, Roadrunner, Sire, Warner Records, Warner Classics and Warner Chappell Music, one of the world’s leading music publishers with a catalogue of more than one million copyrights worldwide.
For more than four decades, WMG has been an industry-leading force in providing a world-class array of services designed to help artists and labels grow their careers and their businesses. Artist & Label Services is the umbrella for WEA (Warner-Elektra-Atlantic) – the pioneering WEA distribution and marketing network – and Alternative Distribution Alliance (ADA) – the ground-breaking global distribution company for independent artists and labels.