Head of Global Income Tracking, Warner Chappell Music
At Warner Music Group (WMG), we’re a global collective of music makers and music lovers, tech innovators and inspired entrepreneurs, game-changing creatives and passionate team members. Here, we know that each talent makes our collective bolder and brighter. We are guided by four core principles that underpin everything we do across all our diverse businesses:
- Music is Everything: Music is our passion, and we can never get enough. Tastes, trends, and tech will change, but great artists and songwriters will always be our driving force.
- Global Growth, Local Expertise: Music is a global language. Through communication and collaboration, our success can come from anywhere and translate everywhere.
- Innovation and Insight: Pushing the boundaries requires the best information and the boldest imagination. We use both to create the future.
- Empowered by People: Like the artists we serve and the music they make, our differences make us stronger. This is a place where every talent can belong and build a career.
We remain committed to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. We know it fosters a culture where you can truly belong, contribute, and grow. We encourage applications from people of any age, gender identity, sex or sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, disability, and any other protected characteristic or identity.
Warner Chappell Music (WCM) is the music publishing division of Warner Music Group. We are interested in those who can join and contribute along our company’s values: Curiosity, Collaboration, and Commitment. We value input, ideas, and feedback from everyone at every level and the voices and contributions of every team member at WCM matter.
At WCM we put the songwriter first, offering high touch service to move the cultural dial across the globe. We want team members who have a service-oriented mindset and care about the collective work. We are searching for those who are comfortable thinking globally while leveraging local expertise.
Job Title: Head of Global Income Tracking, Warner Chappell Music
A little bit about our team:
The Head of Global Income Tracking is part of our global administration division, reporting to the EVP Global Rights Management. This position collaborates closely with all areas of our business, partnering closely with our finance, royalty, copyright, product, and creative/sync teams, and collaborates internationally with affiliate offices, sub-publishers, licensees and collection societies.
In this role you will lead a team of two, working closely with teams in international offices to lead all tracking activities across our global business.
You will have the opportunity to evolve WCM’s global income strategy and proactively find opportunities to recover unpaid royalties for our songwriters.
As an integrated member of a future-facing administration team, you will partner with teams globally to build income tracking strategies for priority deals, and create standard methodologies, processes and resources that can be easily adapted to the constantly evolving nature of music licensing.
You will direct the analysis of income received against income expectations, across all major revenue streams, and oversee the instigation of backclaims, adjustments and supplemental payments where required.
You will provide input into a variety of technology and product developments enabling WCM to maximise its income collection and distribution to our songwriters.
Here you’ll get to
Drive, develop and deliver strategy
- Collaborate with global teams to agree local, regional and global tracking priorities. Monitor progress and lead teams to successfully implement strategy.
- Feedback local input, initiatives and relevant industry developments to executive management to constantly evolve our global income tracking strategy.
- Ensure all major revenue streams (digital, AV/broadcast, VOD, live, etc.) are actively monitored for underpayments in all territories.
- Generate metrics to monitor revenue across regions.
- Work together with local offices to prevent against problems that interrupt royalty collections, and ensure income is in line with expectations. Resolve interruptions or discrepancies, minimising the delay to any payments owed.
- Partner closely with our digital licensing team to support execution of our global digital strategy.
- Create new ways of working to take our income tracking to the next level.
- Perform regular analysis of revenue received by income provider (societies/DSPs/sub-publishers/etc) and type.
- Deliver regular reports/presentations to senior and executive leadership
- Act as a key partner/business owner for WCM products, ensuring that any tech and data needs for income tracking are met. Actively identify new ways to uncover missed royalty payments, and partner with our product teams to super charge our income tracking activities.
Represent the WCM business:
- Be a driving force of change in industry working groups. Apply your expertise in big data, music supply chains, royalty tracking and society distributions to help tackle global music metadata challenges.
- Represent WCM externally and actively shape industry standard practices.
- Actively partner with external and internal partners to improve the quality and transparency of royalty reporting. Supply solutions to resolving unmatched and undistributed royalties.
- Build and maintain excellent relationships with global collection societies, licensees, sub-publishers and digital service providers. Use your influence to improve reporting from income providers.
- Partner with internal stakeholders to ensure service from partners is in line with expectations.
- Contribute to pitch meetings for new deals.
- Trouble-shoot queries relating to royalty collections, from time to time meeting songwriters /clients for face to face meetings.
Maximise your leadership potential:
- Inspire, empower and develop staff through embracing our values and our people strategy.
- Work cross-departmentally to implement better ways of working throughout the business, ensuring the very best service to our writers.
- Support global teams in being able to monitor accurate deal level expectations across all revenue streams. Provide income confirmations to the finance & royalty teams.
- Lead our internal Income Tracking Working Group, comprised of individuals working in 20+ offices globally.
- Identify training needs for income tracking globally. Facilitate training sessions and tap into expertise within the business to upskill teams.
- Support the EVP Global Rights Management with budget, target and project planning pertaining to income tracking.
- An experienced music publishing professional with a background in income tracking, revenue assurance, gap analysis and royalty forecasting, gained from working at music publishers and/or collection societies.
- A track record of seeing opportunities that have led to increased revenue collection.
- An in-depth understanding of how music publishing rights are monetized, and the income streams associated with each form of exploitation.
- An extensive working knowledge of society licensing schemes, commissions, distribution policies and payment timetables.
- A solid understanding of the digital supply chain and the steps necessary to facilitate multi-territory licensing.
- Goal orientated, with the ability to set clear and measurable objectives.
- You join dots, think laterally and understand the downstream and upstream impact of events. Naturally curious and a born problem-solver.
- You enjoy analysing, manipulating and extracting data from high volume datafiles.
- A self-starter who needs minimal direction and proactively sets manages workload.
- Experienced in presenting to and communicating with executive leadership. You effectively present data to a variety of audiences, tailored to individual needs.
- Meticulous attention to detail, with a forensic and detail-orientated approach to completing work, accurately and on time.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects at once and hit time-sensitive deadlines
- You have a detailed knowledge of industry and DSP file formats, including, CRD, CSV, DIF, FLAT, TEXT, DDEX & society specific reporting.
- Advanced Excel capabilities, including Power Pivot & advanced formulae. Proficiency with SQL, Power Query, Alteryx (or other data wrangling software) and BI visualisation tools such as Power BI and Tableau.
- Working knowledge of Snowflake and related data warehouse solutions
- We’d love it if you also had:
- Experience of working for a digital service provider or related digital music partner
- Relevant experience gained from working within a collection society
- Experience of working in business intelligence
- A degree-level education in a related field, including finance, mathematics, or data science
At Warner Chappell Music, we shape the culture of songwriting and champion songs that resonate for generations by creating transformational opportunities for songwriters everywhere.
Before the fans and fame, the soundtracks and syncs, there is the song. And before the song comes the songwriter – the heart of an art form that defines generations, and the soul of our business. Songwriters are our inspiration; we are their partners, collaborators, and crusaders.
Songwriters shape culture; and here at WCM we help hone their craft, build their careers, and protect their legacies. We value curiosity, collaboration, and commitment – which helps set us apart and helps us in our commitment and global service to our songwriters.
We are Warner Chappell Music – where songwriters are heard.
Love this job and want to apply?
Click the “Apply” link at the top of the page, or apply directly with your LinkedIn. Applying with LinkedIn will import all of the information you put in your profile, but will still allow you to upload a resume and cover letter.
Don’t be discouraged if you don’t hear from us right away. We’re taking our time to review all resumes, and to find the best people for WMG.
Thanks for your interest in working for WMG. We love it here, and think you will, too.
WMG is committed to inclusion and diversity in all aspects of our business. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and will evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, religion or belief, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or gender reassignment, marital or civil partnership status, disability, pregnancy, childbirth or any other characteristic protected by law.