The Director of Legal and Business Affairs will be responsible for overseeing and spearheading an active business affairs strategy for the label, working closely with the President and the A&R teams, as well as the SVP for Warner Music UK.
This is a crucial role which requires energy and diligence to negotiate and close deals so as to match the ambition of the label to establish itself as the premier destination for music talent in the UK market.
The Director will also need to be culturally “switched on” with their fingers on the pulse of new trends and emerging technologies using insights and data to properly understand the needs of both artist and label in the deal making process.
The role reports to SVP Legal and Business Affairs, Warner Music UK.
- Provide legal and business affairs support to the label President, Head of marketing and A&R team.
- Negotiating and drafting recording agreements for new signings – album deals, single deals, track based deals, profit shares, bespoke complex agreements.
- Re-negotiations of recording agreements.
- Deal approval process, depending on size of transaction.
- Label deals with independent companies, or A&R providers of talent.
- Drafting of merchandising agreements in support of the Artist Services team.
- Direct to Consumer support e.g. ticket bundling.
- High value brand deals involving WB UK artists.
- Consultancy agreements for A&R talent.
- Working with the finance department in respect of deal analysis / P&Ls for new signings, re-negotiations, option pick-ups and option declines.
- Termination of recording agreements.
- Agreements for audio visual programs.
- Agreements with third party production companies/broadcasters for TV rights (e.g. Biffy special for MTV).
- Overseeing diary of option dates.
- Managing WBR business affairs manager and co-managing (with Atlantic Business Affairs VP) business affairs executive.
- Ad hoc queries from marketing, royalties and other areas of the business.
What we are looking for…
- Diligent qualified lawyer (min 4 years PQE) with ability to work under pressure, and to bring complex negotiations to agreement.
- Prior experience within a music business with a keen interest in and knowledge of developments in the recorded music market.
- Ability to work with artist representatives to close long form agreements in a timely manner.
- Ability to keep senior management informed of progress at all times.
- Commercially minded, ability to understand sensitivities and financial commitments etc.