Vevo is the world’s leading all-premium music video and entertainment platform with over 25 billion monthly views globally. Vevo delivers an expertly curated experience for audiences to explore and discover music videos, exclusive original programming and live performances from the artists they love.
We are seeking a Manager, Business Affairs to join our small team of talented lawyers who are working to help grow Vevo’s business. This position will report directly to the Senior Manager, Business Affairs and will be a member of the broader Business Affairs / Business Development team.
The Business Affairs team plays a key role in the company’s evolving strategy, ensuring that Vevo enters into smart, innovative agreements. As a Manager, Business Affairs, you will provide business and legal counsel in connection with the company’s ongoing development efforts and day-to-day activities.
You will also support the company’s overall strategy and work cross-functionally with our Business Development, Business Operations, Engineering, Product, Data Science, Revenue Operations, Sales, Research, Content & Programming and Finance teams. Eventually, you will manage your own deals directly with Vevo’s internal and external stakeholders. This role requires an individual who has impeccable attention to detail, is an effective communicator and negotiator, is adaptable, and has the ability to spot issues, all while managing (drafting and negotiating) a high volume of deals from inception through execution.
As a member of the Business Affairs team at Vevo, you’ll be working alongside incredibly talented individuals who will both inspire and challenge you to think about issues such as how best to navigate the intellectual property landscape, monetize content, and balance risk to create successful long-term partnerships.
We often take time as a team to review complex legal issues and new advancements in the music and technology industries and think critically about various developments around us that may impact our overall strategy. We have a phenomenal unit made up of fun and accomplished individuals with diverse professional backgrounds, and we’re excited to have you join us!
This is a full-time position based in our San Francisco office. We are in a convenient location one block from a BART station entrance on Market Street.
As a member of our team, you will
- Review, draft, negotiate and execute a variety of agreements, with particular focus on: (1) technology transactions; (2) ad sales and strategic marketing/research engagements, (3) independent contractor agreements; (4) confidentiality agreements; (5) multi-platform digital distribution; (6) original content production, (7) live events, and (8) content licensing
- Assist in the enforcement and protection of Vevo’s intellectual property rights
- Assist in the management of litigation/claims in conjunction with outside counsel
- Conduct contract analysis and provide ongoing risk analysis in connection with a variety of matters including, but not limited to, data privacy, patents, insurance, employment and minor real estate matters
- Develop and maintain standard form agreements
- Direct and work closely with outside counsel
- Collaborate with other members of the legal team to ensure business needs are met
- Provide guidance and legal advice to other departments
This describes you
- Share our passion for music and digital media and have a genuine curiosity for emerging technologies
- Enjoy both collaborative and self-directed projects and can work effectively in each
- Draft and communicate articulately to actively solve problems
- Have a track record of questioning the status quo to achieve positive results
- Comfortable with ambiguity and an ever-changing landscape and thrive in high pressure situations
- Can see the ‘big picture’ and translate high-level strategy to day-to-day implementation
- Have ideally 1-3 years’ experience at a top tier law firm or entertainment, media and/or technology company
- You understand data privacy regulations and intellectual property laws (including international copyright)
- 1-3 years’ experience specializing in commercial, intellectual property, media, technology and/or entertainment law
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Proactive and detail-oriented thinker with the ability to thrive in an often ambiguous, fast-paced environment
- Ability to keep information confidential
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a dynamic, creative environment
- Ability to multi-task and manage competing priorities under time constraints
- Willing to work extended hours, as needed
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office
- BA/BS and JD from top-tier programs
- Admitted to the State Bar of California
Vevo considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other legally protected status under local, state, or federal law.