Vevo is the world’s largest all-premium music video provider, offering artists a global platform with enormous scale through its distribution partners.
Vevo connects artists with their audience globally via music videos and original content, working directly with them to find unique ways to bring their music to life visually. Vevo also works with emerging artists, providing them with a platform of global scale and reach, to find and grow their audience. Reaching 26 billion monthly views globally, Vevo has over 450,000 music videos in its catalogue.
We are seeking a Director, Business Affairs to join our small team of talented attorneys who are working to take Vevo’s business to the next level. This position will report directly to the Vice President, Business Affairs and will be a member of the broader Business Affairs & Business Development team.
The Business Affairs team plays a key role in the company’s evolving strategy, ensuring that Vevo enters into smart, innovative, and legally sound agreements. As Director, Business Affairs, you will provide business and legal counsel in connection with the company’s ongoing global business dealings and draft and negotiate a variety of legal agreements, with a particular focus on content production, licensing, and distribution related matters. You will also supervise a Business Affairs staff member.
You will work cross-functionally in partnership with Vevo’s Content & Programming, Sales & Distribution, Business Operations & Strategy, and Finance teams. The ideal candidate has experience working with record labels, music publishers, and digital entertainment platforms in matters relating to digital media distribution, content monetization, and intellectual property (including international copyright).
As a member of the Business Affairs team at Vevo, you’ll be working alongside incredibly talented individuals who will both inspire you and challenge you. We often take time as a team to review complex legal issues and new advancements in the music, media, and technology industries, and to think critically about various developments around us that may impact our overall strategy. We have a phenomenal unit made up of fun and accomplished individuals with diverse backgrounds, and we’re excited to have you join us!
This is a full-time position and is based at our New York City headquarters.
Although we are currently remote during COVID-19, we will eventually be returning to the office and require applicants to be currently located in the area that they are applying.
As a member of our team, you will
- Review, draft, negotiate and execute a variety of agreements, with particular focus on: (1) content licensing (including music publishing); (2) original content production; (3) live event production; (4) digital content distribution, with an emphasis on connected television platforms; (5) sales and marketing partnerships; (6) independent contractor agreements; and (7) confidentiality agreements.
- Have supervisory/management responsibility.
- Conduct contract analysis and provide ongoing risk analysis in connection with a variety of matters.
- Identify process inefficiencies and ways to improve workflow.
- Create and maintain documentation as well as best practices for the team.
- Lead cross-departmental initiatives to drive efficiencies for Business Affairs and the company.
- Be the Business Affairs voice in discussions around original content production procedures.
- Develop and maintain standard form agreements.
- Assist in the management of litigation/claims in conjunction with outside counsel.
- Assist in the enforcement and protection of Vevo’s intellectual property rights.
- Assist in the management of Vevo’s relationship with external rights holders.
This describes you
- You share our passion for music and digital media; have a genuine curiosity for emerging digital media and content production and distribution.
- You understand issues relating to intellectual property (including international copyright) as they pertain to the music business.
- You enjoy both collaborative and self-directed projects and can work effectively in each.
- You draft and communicate articulately to actively solve problems and provide a unique perspective.
- You are a highly effective leader of people.
- You have a track record of questioning the status quo to achieve positive results.
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and an ever-changing landscape.
- You thrive in high pressure situations.
- You have experience taking fun seriously and cheering up your teammates when they need some positive encouragement; you naturally understand that work isn’t work when you love what you do.
- You can see the ‘big picture’ and translate high-level strategy to day-to-day implementation.
- You successfully navigate complex problems by crafting unconventional solutions.
- BA/BS and JD from top-tier programs.
- Member in good standing of the bar of the State of New York.
- You have ideally 5-7 years’ experience at a top tier law firm or entertainment, media, and/or technology company, with a focus on digital content licensing and/or distribution matters.
- Proactive and detail-oriented thinker with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Exceptional leadership and relationship management skills.
- Strong drafting skills.
- Experience negotiating and drafting agreements related to the entertainment industry.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a dynamic, creative environment.
- Ability to multi-task and manage competing priorities under time constraints.
- Ability to keep information confidential.
- Must be willing to work extended hours, as needed.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office.
Interested? Great! You might like to know
- We’re a fun, energetic, and tight knit team
- We really enjoy music and technology
- We have excellent compensation and benefits packages
- We have premier access to music content and new releases of original media content
- We love to give away concert tickets to live music – not to mention live Vevo-produced musical performances
- We offer a 401k match
Vevo considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other legally protected status under local, state, or federal law.