Vevo is the world’s leading all-premium music video and entertainment platform with over 25 billion monthly views globally. Vevo delivers an expertly curated experience for audiences to explore and discover music videos, exclusive original programming and live performances from the artists they love.
Take a look inside Vevo: http://vevo.ly/cz8ykP
We are seeking a Manager, Business Affairs to join our small team of talented lawyers who are working to help grow Vevo’s business. This position will report directly to the Global Head of Licensing and will be a member of the broader Business Affairs / Business Development team.
The Business Affairs team plays a key role in the company’s evolving strategy, ensuring that Vevo enters into smart, innovative agreements. As Manager, Business Affairs, you will provide business and legal counsel in connection with the company’s ongoing development efforts and day-to-day activities.
You will also support the company’s overall strategy and work cross-functionally with our Content & Programming, Marketing, Finance, and Business Development teams. Eventually, you will manage your own deals directly with Vevo’s internal and external stakeholders. This role requires an individual who is an effective communicator and negotiator, is adaptable, and has the ability to spot issues, all while supervising a high volume of deals from inception through execution.
As a member of the Business Affairs team at Vevo, you’ll be working alongside incredibly talented individuals who will both inspire you and challenge you to think about issues such as how best to navigate the intellectual property landscape, monetize content, and balance risk to create successful long-term partnerships.
We often take time as a team to review complex legal issues and new advancements in the music and technology industries, and to think critically about various developments around us that may impact our overall strategy. We have a phenomenal unit made up of fun and accomplished individuals with diverse backgrounds, and we’re excited to have you join us!
This is a full-time position and is based at our New York City headquarters.
AS A MEMBER OF OUR TEAM, YOU WILL
- Review, draft, negotiate and execute a variety of agreements, with particular focus on: (1) music publishing/PRO/collecting society agreements (2) master use/content licensing (3) distribution (via online and mobile syndication, mobile applications, IPTV and other IP-connected devices and platforms (4) original programming and production, (5) live events, (6) ad sales and strategic marketing, (7) software and technology
- Assist the Global Head of Licensing with all matters related to the licensing of music publishing rights and master use/video
- Assist in the enforcement and protection of Vevo’s intellectual property rights, including the management of the takedown claim process for videos distributed on the Vevo platform
- Assist in the management of litigation/claims in conjunction with outside counsel
- Develop and maintain standard form agreements
- Direct and work closely with outside counsel
- Collaborate with other members of the legal team to ensure business needs are met
THIS DESCRIBES YOU
- You share our passion for music and digital media and have a genuine curiosity for emerging digital technology.
- You have a track record of questioning the status quo to achieve positive results.
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and an ever-changing landscape and thrive in high pressure situations
- You can see the ‘big picture’ and translate high-level strategy to day-to-day implementation
- You have ideally 2-4 years’ experience at a top tier law firm or entertainment, media and/or technology company in music licensing, including hands-on experience negotiating label, publisher, and PRO deals in the digital space.
- You understand international copyright law, and is up to date on the various licensing structures and processes that are customary in those territories in which Vevo does business.
- 2-4 years’ experience in contract law, intellectual property, media, technology and/or entertainment
- Ability to keep information confidential
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a dynamic, creative environment.
- Willing to work extended hours, as needed
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office
- BA/BS and JD from top-tier programs
INTERESTED? GREAT! YOU MIGHT LIKE TO KNOW
- We’re a fun, energetic, and tight knit team.
- We really enjoy music and technology.
- We have excellent compensation and benefits packages.
- We have in-office and external happy hours.
- We have premier access to music content and new releases of original media content.
- We love to give away concert tickets to live music – not to mention live Vevo-produced musical performances.
- We offer a 401k match.
- We have a fully stocked kitchen.
- We are in an upscale New York city office with stunning views of Times Square.