WELCOME TO UTOPIA
Music is incredible. It can excite hundreds and unite thousands. But as an industry, it has been slow, complicated, and disparate. While the tech world has moved into the future, the music industry continues to be shaped by inefficient systems of the past. At Utopia, we believe there is a better way. This is why today, we are setting out to transform the entire industry; creating new revenue streams, consolidating the data, and decluttering the admin—unlocking the industry’s full potential by unifying it all in one genuinely holistic space. Some might call that a Utopia.
Funnily enough, so do we. Welcome to Utopia. Where music lives
WHAT UTOPIANS DO
We build a better world for music with innovative big data technology that tracks online music sources and translates them into meaningful music consumption reports for royalty collection. The solution we’re building does not threaten to usurp the role of industry incumbents – it is about bringing transparency in the industry and supporting efficient royalty collection.
WHAT YOUR ROLE WILL BE
Utopia’s future Head of Financial Services will play an essential role in developing one of the company’s most prominent business units.
Music industry is struggling to pay creators on time – now with a pandemic eating live concert revenues, the creative community needs solutions to get royalties paid faster. To address this problem, we are building novel financial services for the creative community to help them succeed and prosper in their job of making and creating music for all of us to love and enjoy. You play a major part in making music royalties globally fairer, faster and more transparent.
Your primary role as the Head of Financial services for Utopia is to scale business and product offering to help creators get paid faster royalties using credit instruments, risk models and solutions co-created with financial institutions and distributors. Your job is to build the team, capture the business opportunity, manage partnerships and help maximise the distribution of the Utopia financial services for creators.
2 / 3
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, with unrestrained access to the CEO and Chairman The international executive leadership team, closely working with group CLC (Legal), CFO (Financial) and CPO (Product)
FOCUS OF THE ROLE
- Develop our offering commercially towards copyright holders and as a financial
services partner to music distributors
- Be accountable for Utopia Music AG’s financial services relationships and proposition towards both copyright holders and distributors
- Work closely with different financial regulatory authorities in our key markets to
understand and comply with applicable financial regulations.
- Manage our day-to-day commercial relationships with our banking partners and other capital providers.
- Work closely with the data team and product team of Utopia Music to serve our
clients with best of breed services.
- Identify new commercial opportunities for our clients and for the company based on new partnerships and our data or new data sets to be acquired.
WHAT YOU BRING
- Strong commercial mindset and experience from the investment industry, or working as a data provider to the investment industry.
- Experience and expertise on building and managing financial services, especially
focusing on global cross-border payments.
- Sales and customer-facing experience. You have excellent experience in creating
and nurturing commercial relationships and strategic partnerships with our partner
banks and other capital providers.
- Can start big things, lead through early and later growth stages. Understand and perform complex systemic thinking.
- Establish a foundation of an Utopia Business unit for Financial Services
- Hire team and create processes required to scale the business opportunity
- Achieve agreed commercial objectives for Business unit by scaling the solutions and building partnerships
- Create success stories together with financial institutions, distributors and creators REQUIREMENTS AND SKILLS EXPECTED
- Understand the music industry in terms of assets and copyright directive
- Experience in distributing high value add services within the financial industry
3 / 3
- Can execute above the expectations in a dynamic and fast changing environment
- Has an ability to make decisions with the non-complete data set, but has a natural urge to find facts for data-driven decisions and you bring clarity into chaos
- Strong understanding of global payment and lending regulations
- Good level of understanding on machine learning models and capabilities and ability to work together with an expert organization focusing on data and complex modelling
- Experience in Banking with knowledge of payments procedures and other relevant policies globally
- Strong track record in considering Anti Money Laundering (AML) / Combating the Financing of Terrorism (CFT) cases and making decisions to mitigate AML and CFT risk / escalate accordingly
- Experience of accounting, treasury, bookkeeping or payment systems
- Experience with Personal Banking/Institutional or Payment Processing
- Previous Transactions Monitoring and Sanctions experience
- Experience of financial reconciliation and investigation exercises
- Demonstrated attention to detail and numerical accuracy
- Exchange and share “best practice” / lessons learnt from experienced problems to other team members
- Monitoring and reconciling of clearing activities
- Adhering to, and maintaining customer service levels for response times without compromising our quality of service
- Growing organization within the unique banking shared service sector
- Taking proper action according to instruction given by local AMLO and global sanction teams
- Great cross-functional business partner to other teams at Utopia
- Innovation-minded, fast learner for on-the-job training
- Methodical and determined in your approach to problem solving
- Advanced working command of written and spoken English
- Proactive attitude and ability to maintain focus while working with voluminous tasks and under pressure.
We come from different backgrounds and we welcome everyone who finds theirself in previously written to apply. Welcome to Utopia – Where Music Lives!
We’re eager to meet you! 🙂