Music is incredible. It can excite hundreds, and unite thousands. But as an industry, it has been slow, complicated, and disparate. While the tech world has moved into the future, the music industry continues to be shaped by inefficient systems of the past. At Utopia we believe there is a better way. Which is why today we are setting out to transform the entire industry; creating new revenue streams, consolidating the data and decluttering the admin. Unlocking the industry’s full potential by unifying it all in one truly holistic space. Some might call that a Utopia.
Funnily enough, so do we. Welcome to Utopia. Where music lives.
WHAT UTOPIANS DO
We are building a better world for music with innovative big data technology that tracks online music sources and translates them into meaningful music consumption reports for royalty collection. The solution we’re building does not threaten to usurp the role of industry incumbents – it is about bringing transparency in the industry and supporting efficient royalty collection.
WHAT YOUR ROLE WILL BE
As Head of Business Development, you’ll be making a key impact on how Utopia captures business opportunities through finding partnerships, understanding and articulating market opportunities, and contributing to the M&A team’s deal generation efforts.
- Builds and discovers potential partner/M&A candidates that allows us to expand Utopia’s market or product offering together with the M&A team
- Compiles relevant market data for decision-making (opportunities matrix, capabilities roadmap, etc)
- Collaborates with CEO/Board/COO to identify and approve Utopia’s capabilities roadmap to successfully reach Utopia’s vision
- Helps bridge understanding gaps regarding business models and their impact on the corporate financial plans
- Supports Utopia to identify, grow and maintain market opportunities worth pursuing, competitive positioning and advantage (Opportunities Matrix) together with Business Units
- Helps Utopia identify, grow and maintain capabilities roadmap together with Marketing, Partnerships, Technology and Commercial teams (Capabilities Roadmap) with Business Units
- Continually updates the organization on Music Industry impacting events to enable Utopia to see and capture relevant growth trends
THE IDEAL SKILLSET
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills with demonstrated capabilities to manage and influence stakeholders effectively
- High degree of organizational awareness, ability to connect the dots to understand all the interdependency and big picture
- Thought leader with track record to formulate and integrate functional strategies with corporate objectives and translate them into actionable deliverables
- Strong leadership skill with proven ability to develop and lead teams across locations and drive professional development of team members by providing coaching and enabling the team to excel in a high performing organization
- Exercise great judgment and ability to negotiate effectively
- Results-driven, takes great initiative and ownership to accomplish excellent quality of work
- Comfortable with change; ability to demonstrate flexibility and proven experience in orchestrating change in complex organizations
- Excellent prioritization skill and work well under pressure in a rapidly growing environment
- Strive for continuous improvement and embrace innovative ideas in daily work
- Proven experience leading the search and evaluation process, due diligence and structuring of partnerships
- In-depth, hands-on experience with market analysis and business case development, with ability to analyze and comprehend information across scientific and commercial and financial fronts to inform R&D strategic planning and BD strategy
- Thorough understanding of industry trends and competitive landscape
- Strong understanding of the music industry is preferred but not critical
WHAT WE OFFER
- Great atmosphere – we live, love & breathe music & tech!
- Working in an impact oriented team.
- An experienced team to learn from, with experience in multiple startups and big tech companies.
- Benefits depend on location.
- Flexible remote policy, so if you may prefer being on your own and working from home – we’re fine with that too.
- We are supporting work permits for employees that have already moved to our locations from countries outside the EU. However, we do not support relocation at the moment.
We come from diverse backgrounds and we welcome everyone who identifies with
the above to apply. Welcome to Utopia – Where Music Lives!
We’re eager to meet you! 🙂