WELCOME TO UTOPIA
Music is incredible. It can excite hundreds, and unite thousands. But as an industry, it has been slow, complicated, and disparate. While the tech world has moved into the future, the music industry continues to be shaped by inefficient systems of the past. At Utopia we believe there is a better way. Which is why today we are setting out to transform the entire industry; creating new revenue streams, consolidating the data and decluttering the admin. Unlocking the industry’s full potential by unifying it all in one truly holistic space. Some might call that a Utopia.
Funnily enough, so do we. Welcome to Utopia. Where music lives.
WHAT UTOPIANS DO
The open secret is that the music industry is struggling with the very basics of music accounting: What was played, when and where? Who should get paid and how much?
Utopia Music is bridging the data gap by connecting global consumption, accurate metadata, and fast payments to an industry-wide trust platform. Our goal is to unlock creative value and enable Fair Pay For Every Play to make a better world for Music. The solutions we offer do not threaten to usurp the role of industry incumbents – it is about bringing transparency in the industry and supporting efficient royalty collection for all.
Being a Business & Legal Affairs Manager or Senior Business & Legal Affairs Manager at Utopia is being part of a growing professional team in the legal field, creating business value and supporting the rest of the Utopia Group with legal and business affairs expertise across different domains.
Your work will be focused on advising on music industry and legal related issues relevant to the Distribution Services and Investor Services business units. You will assist the current team with reviewing and creating legal documentation, providing legal and business advice on different matters, including mid to high level distribution related commercial contracts (with an emphasis on digital distribution) and advising on IP, GDPR and data related issues. You will collaborate with the VP Business & Legal Affairs to troubleshoot and provide concise and clear solutions to complex situations. You will also be dealing with outside counsel.
The work is focused on our UK operations but will be international and involve contacts with external and internal lawyers in different countries. You will be part of a team that is highly motivated and with ambitious goals for the future. You will proactively identify solutions that mitigate key risks and, even more importantly, increase likelihood that we hit our business objectives, in the contract or task at hand as well as a company. You will report to our VP Business & Legal Affairs.
- You will report to VP Business & Legal Affairs as your line manager.
- The main contacts in your team you will work with will be our Business Affairs Manager & Business Affairs Assistant.
- You will collaborate also with the wider BA team.
- Being a key player in the daily operations of the BA team.
- Drafting, reviewing and advising on various legal documents including mid to high level complexity commercial contracts relevant to the digital and physical distribution of music.
- Advising on GDPR and data related issues relevant to the Distribution Services and Investor Services business units.
- Providing high level advice on music industry legal issues supporting the Distribution Services and Investor Services business units.
- Negotiating commercial Agreements with Suppliers and Supplier’s legal advisors relevant to the distribution sector.
Providing general B/A guidance and support to Business Units at mid level.
- 3-5 years PQE relevant in-house or private practice legal experience in the music industry or with a music related business – experience with digital and physical distribution agreements is essential!
- Must have general commercial experience in dealing with IP related contracts.
- Fluency in English is a must, additional languages are a plus!
- Ability to problem solve and troubleshoot, providing clear and concise solutions to complex issues
- You are able to communicate with finesse.
- You thrive under pressure and approach challenges with confidence.
- At heart you are a Teamplayer- We before Me.
- You are expected to be a great colleague and a friend, as the rest of Utopians will be to you!
WHAT WE OFFER
- Great atmosphere – we live, love & breathe music & tech!
- Working in an impact oriented team and inclusive company culture.
- An experienced team to learn from, with proven track records in multiple startups and big tech companies.
- Our flexible remote policy provides Utopians the freedom to work either from one of our inspiring offices or from home.
- We celebrate being an international and multicultural company.
- Competitive benefits; packages depend on location. You’ll be given more details on this during the interview process.
- We are only recruiting within the UK for this position, preferably the South East, as this person will be expected to have access to our London office on a flexible basis. We are only able to move forward with applicants already based in this location and who have eligibility to work within the UK.
THE HIRING PROCESS
- You send us your CV in English.
- We invite you for an introductory video call with the Talent Acquisition team to get to know you better and share more about us.
- We invite you for an interview with VP Business & Legal Affairs who this position report to.
- We invite you for an interview with the BA team.
As we want to bring transparency, trust, and clarity to the music industry we serve, we know a change comes from within. Utopia is a transparent, trust-based organization striving to have clarity in thinking and doing what we set out to do.
We execute urgently and innovate to grow faster. We ship things that make a difference today, so we can make them better tomorrow. We embrace fairness and are all accountable.
Strictly diverse and inclusive. We are an equal opportunity employer.
We celebrate our diverse backgrounds and we welcome everyone who identifies with the above to apply. Welcome to Utopia – Where Music Lives!