Music is incredible. It can excite hundreds, and unite thousands. But as an industry, it has been slow, complicated, and disparate. While the tech world has moved into the future, the music industry continues to be shaped by inefficient systems of the past. At Utopia we believe there is a better way. Which is why today we are setting out to transform the entire industry; creating new revenue streams, consolidating the data and decluttering the admin. Unlocking the industry’s full potential by unifying it all in one truly holistic space. Some might call that a Utopia.
Funnily enough, so do we. Welcome to Utopia. Where music lives.
WHAT UTOPIANS DO
The open secret is that the music industry is struggling with the very basics of music accounting: What was played, when and where? Who should get paid and how much?
Utopia Music is bridging the data gap by connecting global consumption, accurate metadata, and fast payments to an industry-wide trust platform. Our goal is to unlock creative value and enable Fair Pay For Every Play to make a better world for Music. The solutions we offer do not threaten to usurp the role of industry incumbents – it is about bringing transparency in the industry and supporting efficient royalty collection for all.
Being a Business & Legal Affairs Manager at Utopia is being part of a growing professional team in the legal field creating business value and supporting the rest of the Utopia Group with legal and business affairs expertise in different domains.
Your work will be focused on assisting the current team in our M&A processes with reviewing and creating legal documentation, providing legal and business advice on different matters, such as corporate matters, contracts and regulatory measures and more. You will also be dealing with outside counsel to a large extent.
The work is international and involves contacts with external and internal lawyers in different countries. You will be part of a team that is highly motivated and with ambitious goals for the future. You will proactively identify solutions that mitigate key risks and, even more importantly, increase likelihood that we hit our business objectives, in the contract or acquisition at hand as well as a company. You will report to the VP Business & Legal Affairs-Company Secretary.
- Being a key player in the daily operations of the BA team with particular focus on our M&A activities
- Drafting and reviewing various legal documents, including agreements, due diligence reports and giving high value advice
- Working in collaboration with different departments within the Utopia Group on their business related endeavors and providing legal and business affairs advice
- Conducting legal, business and competitive research
- Researching and implementing tools and processes to improve the operational efficiency and increase productivity
- Master’s degree with particular interest in business/commercial law, transactions and company law
- You have a solution and data driven attitude to meet objectives
- You hold a minimum of 5–7+ PQE, previous experience from a similar in-house role or highly relevant experience from M&A and transactions
- Advanced communication skills
- You like building relationships, having fun with colleagues and super serving business partners and customers
- Fluent in English and good skills in German (B2 – C1), other languages are a plus!
- Interest in the music industry and a love for music and technology
- You enjoy doing business
- You have the ability to communicate complex issues and matters with clarity and finesse
- You are able to see the bigger picture
- You enjoy negotiating and have advanced negotiation skills
WHAT WE OFFER
- Great atmosphere – we live, love & breathe music & tech!
- Working in an impact oriented team and inclusive company culture.
- An experienced team to learn from, with proven track records in multiple startups and big tech companies.
- Our flexible remote policy provides Utopians the freedom to work either from one of our inspiring offices or from home. For this position, access to our Zug office on a hybrid basis will be required for case and negotiation workflows.
- We celebrate being an international and multicultural company.
- Competitive benefits; packages depend on location. You’ll be given more details on this during the interview process.
- We are supporting work permits for employees that have already moved here from countries outside the EU. For this position, we are only recruiting within Switzerland and the Zürich region and are only able to move forward with those already based in this location.
THE HIRING PROCESS
- You send us your CV in English
- We invite you for an introductory video call with the Talent Acquisition team to get to know you better and share more about us
- 2nd interview with VP Business & Legal Affairs-Company Secretary & Senior Manager Business & Legal Affairs
- Final interview with VP Business & Legal Affairs-Company Secretary & Senior Manager Business & Legal Affairs
- Meet and greet (in person or video) with the Business & Legal Affairs team!
As we want to bring transparency, trust, and clarity to the music industry we serve, we know a change comes from within. Utopia is a transparent, trust-based organization striving to have clarity in thinking and doing what we set out to do.
We execute urgently and innovate to grow faster. We ship things that make a difference today, so we can make them better tomorrow. We embrace fairness and are all accountable.
Strictly diverse and inclusive. We are an equal opportunity employer.
We celebrate our diverse backgrounds and we welcome everyone who identifies with the above to apply. Welcome to Utopia – Where Music Lives!