Music is Universal
It’s the passionate and dedicated team at Universal Music who help make us the world’s leading music company. From A&R to finance, legal to digital, sales to marketing, Universal Music is the place to grow and develop your career within a truly commercial and innovative business that leads in everything it does.
Everyone is welcome to apply for our roles, and we are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment because of gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief, age, marital status, background, pregnancy, or caring responsibilities. We also recognise the importance of diversity of thought within our teams and are fully committed to embracing the talents of people with autism, dyslexia, ADHD, and other forms of neurocognitive variation.
We will always seek to make appropriate adjustments to recruitment, workplaces, and work processes to be fully inclusive to people with different needs and working styles. If you need us to make any reasonable adjustments for you from application onwards, including alternatives to the online form or to disclose a neurocognitive condition, please email UniversalMusicCareers@umusic.com.
The A Side: A Day in The Life
Virgin Music is an award-winning label services company, with offices across the world. As part of the Universal Music Group, the world’s largest music company, we have access to world class data and analytical tools.
Virgin Music is looking for an International Data & Analytics Lead based from our UK office but with a global outlook. This is a unique role and is crucial to the success of the label by supporting the marketing, commercial, finance, A&R and international and territory teams.
The candidate will be involved in a full stack range of analytics, data structure and systems focused activities to enhance Virgin Music teams’ capabilities across over 15 territories. There will be strong involvement at release level through campaigns, helping set the strategy and data structures for ongoing monitoring of each release and building the consumption of total artist repertoire. They will inform, analyse, and report on data, as well as presenting to internal and external stakeholders on recommendations and results.
At a more macro level they will analyse the music industry and label services competitors across world markets, identifying trends and opportunities and liaising with senior management and local territory teams on best practices and strategic focus based on these opportunities. There will also be significant work in exploring and implementing new technology and systems that will help Virgin Music remain at the forefront of the industry, from internal systems to improve and enhance workflows (e.g. Airtable, Monday.com), and data analysis (Domo, Tableau, DataStudio), to external facing such as bespoke Partner Portal and metadata/ catalogue management (OpenPlay). Tasks include research, project management, development, roll-out and change management for implementation.
The candidate has responsibility for helping to maintain consistency in global Virgin Music metadata and other data standards, working in tandem with local markets, operations & finance teams to set up metadata, products and reporting. Relationship management and presentation skills will be necessary to build and manage communication with key 3rd party partners to fulfil reporting needs and answer questions, as well as helping in onboarding new partners to data & analytics systems.
The role requires an enthusiastic and proactive person, who is passionate about music and the music industry. They will need to be comfortable in independent and self-motivated work. The ideal candidate should be detail-oriented and analytical, whilst also being able to look beyond the data in order to add their own insights and creative strategic thinking and communicate the derived insights across both written and verbal channels. They will also have an excellent understanding of the marketplace, with deep understanding of the commercial platforms.
The B Side: Skills & Experience
- Analysing streaming and sales data; combining top level consumption with deeper analysis of the methods/sources of that consumption and historical comparatives
- Subsequently communicating that back to marketing, digital, commercial teams and management; extracting the key insights depending on the audience
- Preparing and presenting business reviews and release updates to 3rd party label partners, key artist management and Virgin Music senior management
- Provide general market & commercial reports at request from senior management and own initiative, including competitor analysis, local market overviews and DSP insights
- Coordination of and with other teams (internal and external) across markets to maintain consistency in data and reporting and maintain global Virgin Music standards in same
- Assisting in educating and onboarding Virgin Music’s 3rd party label partners on the analysis for their artists, to ensure that Virgin Music is a market leader of this function
- Improving Virgin Music’s systems and technology offering to internal and external teams, through the use and identification of new software/tech, managing development and rollout along with and technical skills to create self-service dashboards, release schedules, DSP insights and more
- Setting KPIs for streaming and partnering with teams to work towards those
- Creating, refining and automating regular reporting so that it can serve the variety of teams in the most efficient manner – in existing and newly implemented systems
- Proven track record of experience in an analytical role within the Music industry
- Advanced Excel and Office suite (including Macro creation and editing) skills
- Strong SQL abilities, including windowing functions and querying of very large data sets
- Experience with Google BigQuery strongly desired
- Proven experience with a variety of BI tools, in particular MicroStrategy, Tableau (Desktop and Online environment management), Domo and DataStudio
- Excellent communication skills with ability to present to & interact with high-level management
- Experience in working with teams based in multiple territories – tailored analysis, appropriate communication, and coordination and crucially an understanding of the nuances and differences between the recorded music markets
- Ability to provide strategic recommendations based on unstructured data analysis. Must be able to do this with or without direction
- Must have a full understand of the latest innovations and consumer trends in music and technology
- Special attention to new forefronts in label services amongst competitors and industry
- Passion and interest in software and identifying systems-based solutions for constantly improving work processes
- Naturally curious about the music industry
- Ability to bring data to life in an intelligent and compelling way (storytelling)
- Existing networks with such teams and external labels
Bonus Tracks: Your Benefits
- Group Personal Pension Scheme (between 3% and 9%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 25 paid days of annual leave
- Interest Free Season Ticket Loan
- Holiday Purchase scheme
- Dental and Travel Insurance options
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Salary Sacrifice Cars
- Subsidised Gym Membership
- Employee Discounts (Reward Gateway) Just So You Know…
The company presents this job description as a guide to the major areas and duties for which the jobholder is accountable. However, the business operates in an environment that demands change and the jobholder’s specific responsibilities and activities will vary and develop. Therefore, the job description should be seen as indicative and not as a permanent, definitive, and exhaustive statement.