We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation, and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute, and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
How we LEAD:
Universal Music Enterprises (UMe) is the centralized U.S. catalog entity for the Universal Music Group. Working closely in concert with all of the company’s record labels, UMe provides a frontline approach to catalog management, a greater emphasis on strategic marketing initiatives and opportunities in new and emerging technologies. We manage a diverse and expansive catalog spanning the entire history of recorded music and nearly every genre of music from such renowned record labels as Capitol, Interscope, Def Jam, Geffen, A&M, Motown, Island, and Virgin. The UMe catalog roster includes many of the most iconic and legendary artists of all time, including The Beatles, Bob Marley, The Rolling Stones, Eminem, Stevie Wonder, Nirvana, and Kanye West.
UMe is seeking a creative music Executive with extensive A&R experience, catalog music knowledge, passion, and a thorough understanding of the modern music industry to join our catalog A&R team as a Vice President of A&R. This role is based in Santa Monica, CA.
How you’ll CREATE:
- Create new and impactful ways to drive consumption, revenue and relevance of the UMe catalog by exploring the latest innovations in the marketplace.
- Manage a roster of artists and execute the full A&R lifecycle, from research to the recording/production process to release.
- Develop content for, and engage audiences on, audio and video platforms across artists and genres.
- Identify new technologies, partnerships, integrations and paths to market to service existing catalog as well as new IP.
- Collaborate with Head of A&R to iterate and operationalize A&R catalog strategy.
- Develop and maintain relationships with high-level industry insiders (managers, agents, attorneys, promoters, radio programmers, retail trade and consumer press, etc.).
- Oversee and be accountable for project expenditures & budgets.
- Partner cross-functionally with other label departments including Marketing, Content, Publicity, Promotion, and Commerce to ensure new releases are commercially successful.
- Work with suitable producers, engineers, writers/co-writers, and recording studios on all phases of content development.
Bring your VIBE:
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in the music business with cutting edge industry knowledge and relationships.
- Proven track record of initiating, managing, and successfully completing all relevant aspects of recorded music releases and projects on deadline and on budget.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with A-list artist franchises and senior industry executives.
- Knowledge and experience with digital streaming formats & platforms including playlist compilations, programming, and content curation.
- Leadership experience: you must be able to drive internal and external stakeholders toward creating new opportunities for our artists, building relationships along the way.
- Thorough understanding of the Catalog music business vs Frontline, and how to work both with artists who are still signed and those who are not.
- Proven ability to ideate and innovate across existing and new initiatives.
- Must possess a passion for all genres of music and the ability to identify what’s commercially viable.
- Excellent communication, relationship-building and time-management skills; ability to influence and negotiate. Must be able to sell an idea to a room full of people.
- A pro-active self-starter with strong problem solving and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to multi-task, ensure meticulous attention to detail, prioritize, and work well under pressure & deadlines in a fast-paced, high-volume environment.
- Must be able to travel and attend events as required, travel conditions permitting.
- Bachelor’s degree in music, marketing, communication, business, or related major preferred.
- Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan
- Paid Time Off – Paid Holidays, “Gift Week”, Summer Fridays
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- Employee Developmental Support
- Annual Gym Reimbursement Package
- Pet Insurance, plus much more!
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer
“All UMG employees are currently required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before entering any Company offices unless they have been approved for an exemption or unless prohibited by applicable law”
Disclaimer: This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.
Please apply here: https://app.jobvite.com/j?cj=oILiifwN&s=MBW