We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company.
In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
The Vice-President, A&R will secure new songs for existing talent on the label as well as evaluate new talent and serve as a liaison between assigned artists and the label. They will be a highly creative leader with solid relationships in the music industry.
- Secure new songs for existing talent on the label.
- Evaluate talent and match with potential audience tastes.
- Oversee the recording, production, mastering, sequencing of artist projects.
- Provide comprehensive feedback on new music to label President and head of A&R.
- Review and recommend submitted/solicited demos as well as online material.
- Act as label liaison with artists once they are signed to the label.
- Provide creative input and direction on artist’s material.
- Find suitable producers, writers/co-writers, sound engineers and recording studios.
- Coordinate pre-production and production, mixing and mastering.
- Plan and monitor recording budgets for assigned projects.
- Keep projects within agreed budget and schedule/timeline.
- Evaluate recording and mixing progress for label’s artists.
- Attend live showcases/concerts at clubs and other venues.
- Maintain files/records on all shows attended.
- Work closely with other label departments/employees including Marketing, Digital, Publicity, Promotion and Commerce to ensure recorded material is commercially successful.
- Develop and maintain relationships with industry insiders (managers, agents, attorneys, promoters, radio programmers, retail trade and consumer press, tastemakers, etc.).
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills and time management skills; ability to influence and negotiate.
- Must have strong knowledge of various genres of music and the ability to separate/identify what’s commercially viable.
- A pro-active self-starter with strong problem solving and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, be flexible and be a team player.
- Ability to create and maintain strong relationships with artists, managers, attorneys, etc.
- Ability to travel and attend showcases as required.
- Must understand the artist lifestyle.
- Excellent computer skills, MS Office and an intimate knowledge of the interne
- Minimum 10 years music industry experience, with a demonstrated track record of finding new songs for existing talent and finding emerging artists that fit in with label’s musical offerings/musical direction.
- Experience with the different steps in the recording, production, mastering, sequencing and release of a record required.
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.