Universal Strategic Marketing (USM) is responsible for UMG’s Global catalog, Compilations, Audio-Visual and Licensing businesses for all our labels excluding Classical (with whom we also work closely).
As a dynamic, forward thinking team we ensure territories achieve optimum revenue opportunities by delivering releases and marketing support. At USM, we are expected to be innovators in our field(s), flexible in complementing and inputting into areas across our division and the wider business.
You’ll be working with a world-class team who are passionate about what they do – and we expect no less from you. You should have an insatiable appetite for learning new things and improving existing ones. People who meet us tend to comment on our energy, and the passion we have for what we’re doing. We hope it’s infectious! At such a fast moving area you’ll find opportunities rather than boundaries in every single role.
- Manage all aspects of product development and marketing from concept to completion on given projects. This includes physical, digital, streaming, creating marketing tools, coordination of assets from repertoire teams, the execution and review of territory marketing plans and management of project time lines from assigned roster.
- Generate and distribute analytical project information to all relevant company working groups
- Create and implement innovative marketing approach to projects
- Formulate budgets with department heads and allocate appropriate costs
- Administer markets requests for tools and assets with appropriate repertoire centre
- Ensure all physical and digital deadlines are met
- Assist with evaluating and forecasting project opportunities for release
- Ensure creative output of content and repertoire in the form of new products that will generate meaningful revenues for worldwide territories
- Delivery of product flow to the strategic marketing schedules
- Recognising exploitation opportunities and creating products across all formats both physical, digital and streaming options within our remit be they catalog, compilations, audio-visual products
- Initiate, plan and co-ordinate all aspects of Marketing Campaigns for upcoming releases on designated artists and projects
- Be a conduit to our international markets for all projects
- Recognise and share best practice across the markets
- Oversee and represent acts assigned to you via the key artist roster list
- Manage and control all aspects of a release taking relevant action on required dates to ensure completion of product / services for release date
- Represent international requirements & strategy in UK Label & Project meetings
- Devise clever and innovative marketing tools & strategies
- A strong and consistent delivery of digital products, tools and marketing
- Ability to create and co-ordinate marketing materials, tools and information required and ensure distribution to relevant parties internally and at the operating companies
- Liaise with designers on artwork creative and work closely with the creative department on photo, design etc
- Get visuals agreed and approved on a creative and practical level by artists and label
- Deal effectively with all production supply chain queries to ensure no impact to release dates
- Deal effectively with territory queries, reporting upwards for assistance when required.
- Co-ordinate artist’s / project activities around record releases (press, tools, campaigns, advertising etc)
- Initiate, seek approval and execute creation of special packaging formats on appropriate projects
- Liaise very closely with the Commercial Affairs & New Business departments regarding marketing campaigns to ensure widest possible exposure
- Submit costed marketing plans for approval and manage campaign within agreed budgetary limits
- Ensure all information is accurately communicated to all departments regarding strategy, release plans, changes, developments etc.
- Ensure all department invoices are checked, authorised by relevant manager and processed utilising Uniport and other systems
- Passion for music
- Strong & proven marketing experience
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- A team player with creative ideas and solutions
- Commercially focussed and highly motivated, disciplined and organised with excellent time management skills
- Desire and ability to drive projects – from inception to completion
- Flexible and capable of juggling responsibilities
- Comfortable working under pressure and with a fast moving and rapidly developing roster
- Good understanding of data analysis and insights to provide smart marketing opportunities and support decision making
- Experience of liaising effectively with labels, Managers and Artists
- Experience of working, influencing and persuading at all levels of an organisation (upwards and downwards)
- Knowledge of the international marketplace and how it is evolving
- Understanding of new music platforms and the best approach for each to maximise opportunities
- Positive, proactive and pragmatic approach to any situation. Able to deal with problems as they may arise
- Good understanding of social channels, media opportunities & advertising formats
- Good presentation skills
- Knowledgeable about current music trends and market trends
- Excellent computer skills
- Good understanding of consumer insights & segmentation practices
- Prepared to travel internationally as required
- Experience developing artist plans and strategies
- Comfortable using data & analytics to inform key decisions
- Good understanding and knowledge of Universal’s catalog and repertoire
- Competency in one or more foreign languages
- Advanced skills in common software (e.g. MS Office / Keynote / Photoshop / etc.)
- Experience of in-house IT applications (including budgeting & invoice approval systems, sales information systems etc)
- Marketing qualification
Diversity and Inclusion:
Universal Music is an equal opportunities employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to a working environment where no one will be treated less favourably on grounds of their sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or age.
The company presents this job description as a guide to the major areas and duties for which the jobholder is accountable. However, the business operates in an environment that demands change and the jobholder’s specific responsibilities and activities will vary and develop. Therefore, the job description should be seen as indicative and not as a permanent, definitive and exhaustive statement.