Music is Universal
It’s the passionate and dedicated team at Universal Music who help make us the world’s leading music company. From A&R to finance, legal to digital, sales to marketing, Universal Music is the place to grow and develop your career within a truly commercial and innovative business that leads in everything it does.
Everyone is welcome to apply for our roles, and we are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment because of gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief, age, marital status, background, pregnancy or caring responsibilities. We also recognise the importance of diversity of thought within our teams and are fully committed to embracing the talents of people with autism, dyslexia, ADHD and other forms of neurocognitive variation.
We will always seek to make appropriate adjustments to recruitment, workplaces, and work processes to be fully inclusive to people with different needs and working styles. If you need us to make any reasonable adjustments for you from application onwards, including alternatives to the online form or to disclose a neurocognitive condition, please email UniversalMusicCareers@umusic.com
The A Side: A Day in The Life
UMG’s Global Insight team manages the most powerful and effective data sets and research capabilities in the music industry. As well as utilising sales, commercial / partner data, and social media analytics, the Global Insight team manages extensive consumer data from around the world, delivering unique detail into evolving attitudes and behaviours of today’s music consumers.
Global Insight is a 15+ staff team, with presence in London, New York and Los Angeles. This role is based in London reporting directly to the Senior Director, supporting the Artist Insights & Strategy team.
The Artist Insights & Strategy team leads strategic insights and research for Universal Music Group’s esteemed record labels and business units. Our department supports marketing, commercial, and A&R label teams for a range of international artist brands; from emerging acts to global superstars to catalogue acts.
A key focus of this role will be to support a selection of labels under UMG spanning multiple genres (pop, indie/alternative, country, hip hop/rnb etc.). As such, a passion and broad knowledge of artists & music across the board is required.
The B Side: Skills & Experience
- On a day-to-day basis, you will be researching and tracking the audience of our artists, dissecting artist brands to uncover their unique DNA, exploring audience perceptions and engagement across key markets to derive actionable insights
- Involvement in projects from start to finish, offering analytical and consultative support. There will be a heavy focus on data analysis and artist brand exploration
- Be an enthusiastic and pro-active team player
- Be fanatical about music and pop culture, with an ability to speak confidently about artists & music
- Think beyond the data, and layer insights with creative and strategic thinking in order to build exciting and meaningful narratives
- Present to teams across the business, directly influencing release campaigns, marketing strategies, and the media planning process
- Proven track record in a client facing insights & strategy focussed role. Music/media background highly valued
- Proven brand strategy / consultancy experience in the media entertainment sphere
- Brand positioning experience – ability to apply this to our artists to uncover their DNA, identify key differentiators / weaknesses, and to determine where they sit in the market
- The ability to create clear, structured, and visually compelling Keynote presentations
- Strong communication and presentation skills. This role will require the candidate to deliver reports to labels / artist managers in a compelling way, and to answer ad-hoc questions in a considered manner
- The candidate will be able to take a holistic approach when responding to client questions, utilizing the team’s macro learnings and industry knowledge
- Confident, highly numerate, pro-active, creative individual able to work in a team environment
- The ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment. Be able to prioritize, work to tight deadlines and have a strong sense of initiative
- Naturally curious and inquisitive about consumer behavior
- Strong attention to detail, organization skills, project management
- Proficiency in MS Pack Office (Excel expertise is essential) and social analytics.
- Core research expertise is required:
- Qualitative research (focus group/interview set-up, recruitment spec development, discussion guide writing, moderation etc)
- Quantitative research (survey set-up + design, scripting, cross tab analysis, data visualization).
- Social analytics (proven experience with social listening tools e.g. Meltwater)
- Conducting analysis using multiple data sources (e.g. streaming data, commercial / sales data, social media analytics, cultural trends, desk research)
- Comfortable with large data sets with an ability to bring data to life in an intelligent and compelling way (storytelling is key).
- SQL knowledge.
- Basic/advanced knowledge of the Adobe suite including Photoshop (or equivalent) is a plus
- Ability to speak a second language
Bonus Tracks: Your Benefits
- Group Personal Pension Scheme (between 3% and 9%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 25 paid days of annual leave
- Interest Free Season Ticket Loan
- Holiday Purchase scheme
- Dental and Travel Insurance options
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Salary Sacrifice Cars
- Subsidised Gym Membership
- Employee Discounts (Reward Gateway)
Just So You Know…
The company presents this job description as a guide to the major areas and duties for which the jobholder is accountable. However, the business operates in an environment that demands change and the jobholder’s specific responsibilities and activities will vary and develop. Therefore, the job description should be seen as indicative and not as a permanent, definitive and exhaustive statement.