Job title: Director, International Sales & Operations
Responsible to: SVP, International & Strategic Partnerships
Location of work: 4 Pancras Square
Music is Universal
It’s the passionate and dedicated team at Universal Music who help make us the world’s leading music company. From A&R to finance, legal to digital, sales to marketing, Universal Music is the place to grow and develop your career within a truly commercial and innovative business that leads in everything it does.
Everyone is welcome to apply for our roles, and we are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment because of gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief, age, marital status, background, pregnancy or caring responsibilities. We also recognise the importance of diversity of thought within our teams and are fully committed to embracing the talents of people with autism, dyslexia, ADHD and other forms of neurocognitive variation.
We will always seek to make appropriate adjustments to recruitment, workplaces, and work processes to be fully inclusive to people with different needs and working styles. If you need us to make any reasonable adjustments for you from application onwards, including alternatives to the online form or to disclose a neurocognitive condition, please email [email protected]
The A Side: A Day in The Life
Bravado is the leading global provider of consumer, lifestyle and brand management services to recording artists and entertainment brands around the world. Part of Universal Music Group, the leader in music-based entertainment, Bravado has representatives in 40 countries, providing services including sales, licensing, branding, marketing and e-commerce. Their extensive global distribution network gives artists and brands the opportunity to create deeper connections with their fans through apparel, consumer packaged goods and unique experiences on tour, online and at retail.
This position is responsible for the direction and outcomes of the Sales & Operations function of the merchandising organisation. The Director, Sales & Operations will be accountable for overseeing operationally, the international business (ex UK and US) and having a detailed knowledge of all that this is going on day to day.
The Director, Sales & Operations will play a key role in building artists’ merchandising businesses across international markets. The role focuses on retail and licensing and will serve as the liaison between Bravado’s central operations and UMG’s global merchandising teams. Maintaining operations and the smooth execution of retail and licensing deals from submission to artist approval is essential. The role will also be engaged in overall merchandising strategy, int’l market development and identifying revenue growth opportunities abroad.
The B Side: Skills & Experience
- Overseeing operationally, the international business (ex UK and US) and having a detailed knowledge of all that this is going on day to day:
- Oversee execution of Bravado’s international merchandising strategy, supported by our International Product Managers
- Serve as the main central point of contact between Bravado and UMG international markets
- Ensure that merchandising deals are properly executed from the submission stage through to final artist approvals
- Work with Bravado artists’ brand managers to ensure that artists’ brands are properly represented abroad
- Develop new merchandising opportunities in collaboration with UMG’s international offices
- Educate UMG’s international markets on merchandising business models and best practices to support local revenue growth
- Support and develop client pitches with international markets
- Candidates should be comfortable with both the consumer product retail and licensing businesses
- Speak to the key markets to learn the current trends, the state of their markets and how they can be supported
- Manage reporting and forecasting on larger retail accounts
- Support and mentor 2 team members (International Product Managers). Be a point of escalation when required
- Work closely with Bravado UK Senior Management team on international finance matters and reporting
- Demonstrable track record in a similar senior role
- Experience of presenting complex proposals, to both new and existing partners; possessing dynamic presentation skills
- Strong experience managing international markets
- Proven experience in identifying market opportunities & approaching leads
- Have a good understanding of the music industry
- Excellent communication skills with people at all levels of the business
- Strong leadership and management skills as well as excellent commercial acumen to manage major projects as well as people
- Superior decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Proven leader in setting direction for and achieving objectives
Bonus Tracks: Your Benefits
- Group Personal Pension Scheme (between 3% and 9%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 25 paid days of annual leave
- Interest Free Season Ticket Loan
- Holiday Purchase scheme
- Dental and Travel Insurance options
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Salary Sacrifice Cars
- Subsidised Gym Membership
- Employee Discounts (Reward Gateway)
Just So You Know…
The company presents this job description as a guide to the major areas and duties for which the jobholder is accountable. However, the business operates in an environment that demands change and the jobholder’s specific responsibilities and activities will vary and develop. Therefore, the job description should be seen as indicative and not as a permanent, definitive and exhaustive statement.