We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship.
We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audio-visual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world. As an industry leader, we are constantly looking for talented individuals to join our team and continue to drive our company forward.
UMG Nashville is looking for a Director, Finance. The scope of this job consists of maintaining and reviewing for accuracy UMG Nashville financial statements (Income Statement, Balance Sheet and CFFO); analyze results and projections of UMG Nashville financial statements as related to approved yearly budgeting, quarterly forecasting projections, and recognition of monthly actuals, and liaise with North American Corporate Finance and Corporate Accounting regarding questions, coding, deadlines, and procedure as needed. The Director, Finance will assist in various needs within the finance department, including, but not limited to: Internal Audits and Sarbanes Oxley Compliance.
UMG Nashville consists of Capitol Records Nashville, EMI Records Nashville, MCA Nashville and Mercury Nashville. Together their roster of artists reads like a who’s who of Music Row stars, including Alan Jackson, Chris Stapleton, Darius Rucker, Dierks Bentley, George Strait, Eric Church, Kacey Musgraves, Little Big Town, Luke Bryan, Sam Hunt, Shania Twain and Vince Gill.
- Income Statement related:
- Review for accuracy and alignment with known monthly actuals
Balance Sheet and Cash Forecasting:
- Prepare full Balance Sheet/ Cash Flow plan and forecasts, and upkeep for actuals with specific focus on:
- Accrued Marketing;
- Accrued Income;
- Third Party royalties;
- Payout/ Recoupment split and timing;
- Impact from internal drivers;
- Implications of deal type.
Royalty Accounting Review (including JV):
- Utilize Artist ASL model to forecast updated recording recoveries, marketing recoveries and ending balances.
- Review and approve artists spend, recording recoveries, marketing recoveries and ending balance estimates from royalty group (request change when necessary).
- Update local artist balance file based on file spend/recoveries detail.
- Review deferred balances for accuracy and reasoning. Recommend any adjustments to write off.
- Provide Impairment analysis and STLT classification.
- Prepare JV estimates for forecasted months – recognizing both P&L and CFFO implications.
Non-Record Income Business Segments:
- Responsible for accounting and forecasting of non-recorded income segments of UMGN P&L in coordination with applicable intercompany teams (including passive income monetization, D2C, Sponsorship/Branding, VIP Ticketing, etc.)
- Prepare Artist accountings at close of campaign and coordinate with legal, administration, NRI, finance and CAS/royalties teams, as necessary, to ensure timely reporting and payments.
- Complete various components of Month End financial book:
- Cash Flow Summary, AIP Summary, NRI detail, Advance provision, Spend + Recovery detail, Artist P&Ls (YTD/ RTD)
- Prepare Monthly Profitability summary for Executives
- Support finance department on Executive Presentation detail for Corporate Group
- Oversee Coordinator in sundry invoicing processing for ad hoc invoices.
- Review detail from Central Accounting Services: Profit Participation Expense, Non-Recorded Income summary, Third Party Royalty analysis, International income/expense and Ticket spend by artist.
- In coordination with VP Finance, create project marketing budgets and forecasted phasing. Liaise with marketing teams to ensure proper execution.
- Monitor approvals across various UMG systems: Uniport, eTA, Egratis, Expensys and TicketBuy.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Must be able to manage multiple tasks while prioritizing and meeting tight deadlines.
- Strong financial systems skills and proficient with Microsoft Office (advanced MS Excel).
- Internal Controls/SOX compliance testing and reporting.
- Proven high level of organization and attention to detail.
- Driven by accuracy of results.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Self-starter with ability to build effective and collaborative working relationships.
- Positive and professional attitude.
- Ability to learn fast and retain detailed information and instructions.
Education & Experience:
- 5+ years of proven and relevant accounting experience, preferably with an entertainment company.
- Financial system experience (preferably in SAP and HFM).
- Experience in a large corporate setting actively participating in all aspects of the financial close and corporate consolidation processes.
- Exposure to an environment where internal controls are a high priority.
- Exposure to technical accounting.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance required.
- CPA certification a plus.
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.