main purpose of role
- Draft and negotiate (both individually and as part of a team) a variety of local and multi-territory deal proposals and agreements, related to UMG’s digital business, such as digital music licenses, distribution agreements, software development agreements, live performance agreements and other rights based and commercial contracts.
- Provide general legal support to other UMG business units and “Spinnup” (Universal’s DIY music distribution division) for example, drafting promotion terms and conditions, supplier service agreements, etc.
- Provide customer-focused, well-written answers to queries and issues (predominantly copyright and IP-related) raised by Spinnup customers or the Spinnup team.
- Advise on and explain copyright/IP, commercial, e-commerce and data protection law issues and risks to business, technical and marketing departments within local and global UMG teams.
- Ensure that commercial and other key aspects of deals comply with UMG guidelines.
- Liaise and develop relationships with key individuals within local and global UMG teams.
- Maintain a sound understanding of new digital music products/services and the digital music distribution landscape.
- Perform contract analysis and management.
- Perform legal research and present back to the team.
- 2 – 4 years PQE with experience from a well-regarded law firm or media company.
- Working knowledge of music copyrights and commercial contracts.
- Experience of drafting and negotiating agreements with technology and media clients.
- Ability to prioritise to tight deadlines, with a strong sense of initiative and discretion.
- Highly organised.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal).
- Careful attention to detail.
- Capable of working under pressure and maintaining calm.
- Excellent IT, analytical and research skills.
- Experience in music or strongly musically/media minded.
- Experience with music publishing rights.
- Experience of working at an international level.
diversity and inclusion
Universal Music is an equal opportunities employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to a working environment where no one will be treated less favourably on grounds of their sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or age.
The company presents this job description as a guide to the major areas and duties for which the jobholder is accountable. However, the business operates in an environment that demands change and the jobholder’s specific responsibilities and activities will vary and develop. Therefore, the job description should be seen as indicative and not as a permanent, definitive and exhaustive statement.