It’s the passionate and dedicated team at Universal Music who help make us Britain’s leading music company.
From A&R to finance, legal to digital, sales to marketing, Universal Music is the place to grow and develop your career within a truly commercial and innovative business that leads in everything it does.
Everyone is welcome to apply for our roles, and we are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment because of gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief, age, marital status, background, pregnancy or caring responsibilities. We also recognise the importance of diversity of thought within our teams and are fully committed to embracing the talents of people with autism, dyslexia, ADHD and other forms of neurocognitive variation.
We will always seek to make appropriate adjustments to recruitment, workplaces and work processes to be fully inclusive to people with different needs and working styles. If you need us to make any reasonable adjustments for you from application onwards, including alternatives to the online form, please email Helen@umusic.com
The A Side: A Day in The Life
You will primarily be providing legal and business affairs support on commercial transactions related to Universal Music’s global digital licensing and diy digital distribution business. Working in a team of two other lawyers and two paralegals in London, you will have a varied workload and will be interacting and building relationships across multiple internal teams as well as with external business contacts, in multiple jurisdictions. You’ll manage your own deals and provide support on larger, more complex deals.
The B Side: Skills & Experience
Be Commercial and Knowledgeable
- Drafting, negotiating, reviewing and advising on a wide variety of commercial contracts, often with complex commercial structures, such as digital music licenses, distribution agreements, software development agreements, supplier service agreements and live performance agreements
- Provide customer-focused, well-written answers to queries (predominantly copyright and IP-related) related to “Spinnup”, Universal Music’s own DIY digital distribution business.
- Provide general legal support to “Spinnup” and other Universal Music business units, for example drafting promotion terms and conditions, advising on e-commerce and data protection law issues and risks, drafting NDAs and statements of work.
- Maintain a sound understanding of new digital music products/services and the digital music distribution landscape
- Perform legal research
- Liaise and develop relationships with key individuals within local and global UMG teams and with third party digital partners and suppliers
- Qualified lawyer with 2-4 PQE
- Experience of drafting and negotiating a range of complex commercial contracts with technology and media clients
- Highly motivated with a strong sense of initiative
- Highly organised with careful attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent drafting skills
- Excellent time management skills and ability to work under pressure
- Excellent IT, analytical and research skill
- Working knowledge of music copyrights
- Experience in the music industry
- Experience of working at an international level
Bonus Tracks: Your Benefits
- Group Personal Pension Scheme (between 3% and 9%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 25 paid days of annual leave
- Interest Free Season Ticket Loan
- Holiday Purchase scheme
- Dental and Travel Insurance options
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Salary Sacrifice Cars
- Subsidised Gym Membership
- Employee Discounts (Reward Gateway)
Just So You Know…
The company presents this job description as a guide to the major areas and duties for which the jobholder is accountable. However, the business operates in an environment that demands change and the jobholder’s specific responsibilities and activities will vary and develop. Therefore, the job description should be seen as indicative and not as a permanent, definitive and exhaustive statement.