Music is Universal
It’s the passionate and dedicated team at Universal Music who help make us the world’s leading music company. From A&R to finance, legal to digital, sales to marketing, Universal Music is the place to grow and develop your career within a truly commercial and innovative business that leads in everything it does.
Everyone is welcome to apply for our roles, and we are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment because of gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief, age, marital status, background, pregnancy, or caring responsibilities. We also recognise the importance of diversity of thought within our teams and are fully committed to embracing the talents of people with autism, dyslexia, ADHD, and other forms of neurocognitive variation.
We will always seek to make appropriate adjustments to recruitment, workplaces, and work processes to be fully inclusive to people with different needs and working styles. If you need us to make any reasonable adjustments for you from application onwards, including alternatives to the online form or to disclose a neurocognitive condition, please email UniversalMusicCareers@umusic.com.
The A Side: A Day in The Life
UMG’s Global Insight team manages the most powerful and effective data sets and research capabilities in the music industry. As well as utilising sales, streaming and other commercial data, the Global Insight team manages extensive consumer survey data from around the world, delivering unique detail into evolving attitudes and behaviour of today’s music consumers.
Global Insight is a 15+ staff team, with presence in London, NY and LA. This role is based in London and will require close integration with the data teams in NY and LA, supporting the Artist Insight team. The candidate will report directly to the Associate Director, Artist Insights & Strategy.
The Artist Insight Team delivers in-depth artist brand analysis, campaign recommendations and trend information to marketing executives, informing artist brand development, media buying, marketing campaigns and commercial strategy of music releases.
We are currently seeking a Data Analyst to run complex queries and analysis on UMG’s commercial and sales data, as well as other data sources, to support Artist Insight projects.
The B Side: Skills & Experience
- Perform analysis on large sets of structured commercial data on a daily basis, to identify actionable recommendations for the business and for artists
- Understand and communicate the implications changes in the music landscape in the data analysis interpretation
- Be Collaborative
- Work closely with the Data / Analytics teams in NY, LA and London, ensuring you are up-to-date and involved with the data analysis initiatives developed across the business
- Collaborate with fellow analysts across UMG’s US record labels to drive forward best practices in data querying and analysis methodologies
- Be Up-to-Date
- Apply contextual knowledge about artists and the music industry in your commercial data analysis and interpretation.
- Support Artist Strategy Projects from a commercial data analysis point of view, from start to finish: define the data needed, conduct the analysis and come up with conclusive answers and specific strategic recommendations
- Identify opportunities to develop analysis, providing pro-active suggestions and innovating on an ongoing basis
- Proven track record in a similar data analyst role, preferably in an entertainment/tech company
- Education in science, computer science, statistics, economics, mathematics, or similar quantitative discipline.
- Deep understanding of numbers, as well as a strong business sense.
- Ability to explain complex topics in simple terms. Can translate numerical findings into recommendations.
- Team worker, can-do approach.
- Passion for music
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment where continuous innovation is the rule
- Technical competence to perform advanced analytics
- Good database analytics and data extraction (SQL) skills are essential, ideally gained in a large data warehouse environment. Ability to write well structured, performance SQL using advanced SQL techniques (e.g. Window Functions where appropriate.)
- Experience with column storage databases in general, and particularly Google BigQuery, would be an advantage. An understanding of performance tuning is desirable
- Proficiency with Data visualization (e.g. Tableau, Domo, Google DataStudio)
Experience using R/Python
Bonus Tracks: Your Benefits
- Group Personal Pension Scheme (between 3% and 9%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 25 paid days of annual leave
- Interest Free Season Ticket Loan
- Holiday Purchase scheme
- Dental and Travel Insurance options
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Salary Sacrifice Cars
- Subsidised Gym Membership
- Employee Discounts (Reward Gateway)
Just So You Know
The company presents this job description as a guide to the major areas and duties for which the jobholder is accountable. However, the business operates in an environment that demands change and the jobholder’s specific responsibilities and activities will vary and develop. Therefore, the job description should be seen as indicative and not as a permanent, definitive, and exhaustive statement.