We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship.
We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
We are currently seeking a Copyright Registration Coordinator who will assist with the registration of Universal Music Group’s high volume of audio and audiovisual assets with the United States Copyright Office in Washington, D.C. This Coordinator position is part of the Copyright & Royalties department in UMG’s Woodland Hills, California office.
- Examine & register audio and audiovisual product (both digital & physical) with U.S. Copyright Office using the Copyright Office’s online eCO system
- Review artist and license agreements to determine copyright ownership & registration responsibility
- Search U.S. Copyright Office website and internal databases to identify pre-existing copyrighted works
- Research and report copyright notice discrepancies to Manager and appropriate record label contacts
- Create copyright memos with notes for each release
- Log registration & copyright certificate information into UMG database
- Handle registration application questions from the U.S. Copyright Office as they arise
- Follow up with the U.S. Copyright Office regarding copyright certificate status
- Provide copyright registration information & copies of certificates for internal requests
- Assist with other projects as requested by Manager
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Very organized
- Time management skills and ability to prioritize
- Self-starter & resourceful
- Interest in music
- Paralegal and/or legal support staff experience
- Interest in & basic understanding of U.S. copyright law and copyright registration process
- Experience in reading and interpreting recording /music agreements and contracts
- Experience with Microsoft Office (especially Word, Excel, Outlook)
- College degree preferred
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.