It’s the passionate and dedicated team at Universal Music who help make us the world’s leading music company. From A&R to finance, legal to digital, sales to marketing, Universal Music is the place to grow and develop your career within a truly commercial and innovative business that leads in everything it does.
Everyone is welcome to apply for our roles, and we are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment because of gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief, age, marital status, background, pregnancy or caring responsibilities. We also recognise the importance of diversity of thought within our teams and are fully committed to embracing the talents of people with autism, dyslexia, ADHD and other forms of neurocognitive variation.
We will always seek to make appropriate adjustments to recruitment, workplaces, and work processes to be fully inclusive to people with different needs and working styles. If you need us to make any reasonable adjustments for you from application onwards, including alternatives to the online form or to disclose a neurocognitive condition, please email [email protected]
The A Side: A Day in The Life
We are currently seeking a Change Analyst to join our Process Innovation and Advanced Operations department. As a Process Innovation label lead, this role will be responsible for supporting the design and implementation of a variety of new processes and tools developed within the department and associated GR4O programme* for the UK labels and appropriate international territories, using key change management principles. This will require liaison between label users, central teams and the external creative community to encourage adoption of the various initiatives and tools required to support the programme.
*This position supports the goals of the GR4O programme, a cross-functional programme of work designed to support maximising the use of UMG’s Intellectual Property, across every platform, in every territory around the world. The program aims to maximise our effectiveness across our Rights, Repertoire, Revenue and Royalties capabilities to ensure our artists and partners are fully rewarded for their hard work and that no revenue is left on the table.
This role is responsible for supporting business process design, analysis and implementation for a variety of new projects in the UK and appropriate international territories. It is primarily focused on ensuring, via key metrics and relationships, that any new or improved processes are fully embedded in the labels and handed over to day-to-day operations.
The B Side: Skills & Experience
- Understand the objectives of the Process Innovation programme and communicate these to the business
- Foster supportive relationships with label teams and business units to embed new processes and manage the transition of responsibility to designated business owners
- Act as the label subject matter expert in the discovery and design phases to identify process opportunities, challenges and exceptions early on
- Gather and synthesise feedback from labels and business units and advocate for the needs of the business during process or application design
- Assist various departments and external partners on the day-to-day use of tools and processes, including training and educating them on the high-level objectives of each initiative
- Create and/or contribute to documentation in support of new process design, process flows (as-is and to-be), training documentation and cheat sheets, executive and user-level communications, etc.
- Closely participate in the design and implementation of associated technology toolsets to support processes as designed
- Contribute to the definition of KPI reporting that accurately quantifies the adoption rate and effectiveness of new processes
- Actively seek out new ideas and approaches with a view to enabling new revenue opportunities, richer or more accurate capture of metadata or assets, wider discoverability of UMG’s repertoire, etc.
- Propose deliverable solutions (processes or tools) in support of these new opportunities
- Roll out new processes – and, where applicable, new technology or features – to labels and business units and ensure that these are embedded
- Communicate the requirements of the programme effectively and proactively manage areas of resistance, potential blockers and challenges
- Use KPI reporting, project management tools, and regular meetings with label staff to ensure the process is being followed and is delivering the programme’s objectives
- Define and produce regular reports to monitor the adoption of toolsets and business processes
- Proven track record of analytical skills or process re-design and implementation
- Excellent project experience and ability to define and manage multi-level stakeholder expectations
- Creative problem-solving using analytics and a data-driven approach
- Experience of working in a multi-geographic team and an ability to work flexible hours when necessary
- Proficiency with MS office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Visio)
- Experience working with a record label and knowledge of the recording and creative processes
- An understanding of recent developments and innovations in the music industry and its intersections with social media and the broader world of entertainment
- Experience of working in an Agile development environment
- Ability to integrate with various areas of the business easily while continually re-enforcing process change
- Ability to communicate effectively with label employees and external parties to explain the business benefits of the programme and the individual process initiatives
- Ability to quickly build confidence and credibility within the label to deliver process change using change management principles
- Tenacity and patience: being a “change” person, working with people who need lots of encouragement to adopt new processes and systems
- Ability to apply lateral thinking and problem-solving skills to ensure that processes are being embedded
- Ability to investigate and document ‘As-Is’ processes to inform design and implementation of ‘To-Be’ processes
- Strong organisational skills and an ability to complete deliverables on time
- Someone willing to roll up their sleeves and get involved to get things done
- Understand how a music label works: A&R, Production, Supply Chain, Marketing, Finance, Legal, Commercial
Bonus Tracks: Your Benefits
- Group Personal Pension Scheme (between 3% and 9%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 25 paid days of annual leave
- Interest Free Season Ticket Loan
- Holiday Purchase scheme
- Dental and Travel Insurance options
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Salary Sacrifice Cars
- Subsidised Gym Membership
- Employee Discounts (Reward Gateway)
Just So You Know..
The company presents this job description as a guide to the major areas and duties for which the jobholder is accountable. However, the business operates in an environment that demands change and the jobholder’s specific responsibilities and activities will vary and develop. Therefore, the job description should be seen as indicative and not as a permanent, definitive and exhaustive statement.