We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship.
We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
Universal Music Publishing Group (UMPG) is the leading global music publisher with more than 57 offices in 47 countries. UMPG has some of the most important contemporary songwriters and artists on its global roster.
How we LEAD
This job exists to provide ongoing legal counsel related to drafting, reviewing, and negotiating a variety of legal agreements, primarily agreements related to the business of music publishing.
The job also includes drafting, reviewing, and negotiating other agreements as well as research into various copyright issues and other legal matters.
How you’ll CREATE
- Draft, negotiate and review contracts relating to music publishing, such as administration agreements, co-publishing agreements, participation agreements, acquisition agreements, and similar agreements.
- Draft, negotiate and review contracts relating to non-disclosure agreements, estate matters, and other ancillary agreements.
- Assist with drafting and negotiation of publishing agreements and amendments as directed by VP of Business and Legal Affairs.
- Coordinate regularly with finance department to review deal structures and contractual payment obligations.
- Advise members of senior management with respect to various business and legal matters including copyright laws, contractual rights and obligations, and legal claims
- Track options for existing agreements.
- Attend staff and departmental meetings as directed and provide legal advice on a wide range of issues.
- Assist with updating standard form agreements as needed and as directed.
Analyze and provide updates as applicable regarding changes to laws, regulations, guidelines and court rulings that potentially affect UMPG operations and procedures.
- Summarize contracts and enter information into centralized database.
- Perform legal and contractual research as required.
- Handle and safeguard high-level confidential and sensitive information.
- Provide input and legal support in connection with business strategies and the implementation thereof.
- Responsible for the review of data briefs, monitoring of critical dates, payments, and other ongoing rights and obligations set forth in the agreements, and informing appropriate company personnel of such information.
Bring your VIBE
- Fluent in English and Spanish
- Able to exercise sound business and legal judgment in the face of complex, ambiguous challenges.
- Able to communicate complicated legal issues succinctly to non-lawyers in both languages.
- Able to interact with non-lawyers, as well as lawyers, without alienating either group.
- Familiarity with agreements related to the music and entertainment industry, especially recording artist, songwriter, and producer agreements.
- Comfortable working with new and evolving business models in an evolving industry and business.
- Must be able to work under time constraints.
Ability to multi-task and juggle competing priorities.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Proficient in Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Very organized, able to shift prioritization quickly and come back to unfinished matters.
- Minimum 2-4 years law practice experience required. Music publishing, in-house, or law firm experience in entertainment law preferred.
- Regularly required to sit.
- Occasionally required to stand and walk.
- Requires motor skills to operate a keyboard and basic office equipment.
- Ability to communicate over the phone and in person.
- Strong Work Ethic and sense of integrity
- Results Driven
- Licensed in California, Florida, or New York.
- Be part of an entrepreneurial, global organization that values authenticity, drive, creativity, relationships, and a competitive spirit
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and FSA options, as well as:
- 100% coverage for out-patient mental health services
- Wellbeing reimbursements for fitness classes, spa treatments, meal services, travel, and so much more (up to $720/year)
- A lifetime fertility support allowance of $30,000 to plan participants
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance and Tuition Reimbursement
- 100% immediately vested 401(k) match on the first 5% of your contribution on eligible compensation
- Variety of ways to prioritize much-needed time away from work including:
- Flexible Paid Time Off (PTO) for exempt employees
- 3-weeks PTO for non-exempt employees
- 2-weeks paid Winter Break
- 10 Paid Holidays (including Juneteenth and Wellbeing Day)
- Summer Fridays (between Memorial Day and Labor Day)
- Generous paid parental leave for every type of parent
Disclaimer: This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.
All UMG employees are currently required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or provide proof of a negative PCR or Antigen test before entering any Company offices unless they have been approved for an exemption or unless prohibited by applicable law.
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an E-Verify employer.
- Job Category: Business & Legal Affairs
- Salary Range: $64,480.00 – $133,650.00
The actual base salary offered depends on a variety of factors, which may include, as applicable, the qualifications of the individual applicant for the position, years of relevant experience, specific and unique skills, level of education attained, certifications or other professional licenses held, and the location in which the applicant lives and/or from which they will be performing the job. All candidates are encouraged to apply.