Music is Universal
It’s the passionate and dedicated team at Universal Music who help make us the world’s leading music company. From A&R to finance, legal to digital, sales to marketing, Universal Music is the place to grow and develop your career within a truly commercial and innovative business that leads in everything it does.
Everyone is welcome to apply for our roles, and we are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment because of gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief, age, marital status, background, pregnancy, or caring responsibilities. We also recognise the importance of diversity of thought within our teams and are fully committed to embracing the talents of people with autism, dyslexia, ADHD, and other forms of neurocognitive variation.
We will always seek to make appropriate adjustments to recruitment, workplaces, and work processes to be fully inclusive to people with different needs and working styles. If you need us to make any reasonable adjustments for you from application onwards, including alternatives to the online form or to disclose a neurocognitive condition, please email UniversalMusicCareers@umusic.com.
The A Side: A Day in The Life
The Digital and Business Development team are responsible for creating opportunities to license the rights of the Universal Music Publishing catalogue on behalf of songwriters across a broad range of music services, both well-established and new.
Reporting into the Digital Licensing Manager, The Digital and New Business Executive will work with the team, but will also work closely with digital services, songwriter representatives, the licensing teams at our partner societies (SACEM, APRA etc.), other departments within Universal Music Publishing, and the wider UMG family.
The B Side: Skills & Experience
- Maintaining a schedule of licenses, including tracking agreement expiries, financial commitments, and documentation
- Provide administrative, analytical and/or legal support to the business development team in the form of assisting in term sheet preparation, preparing contract summaries and processing/tracking agreements
- Set-up of conference calls as directed and required, often across several time zones
- Diary / Calendar Management for the team and the VP of Digital, Business Management, who is based in Singapore
- Acting as management and creative services liaison for digital initiatives, including approval on licence and clearance requests from management and international offices
- Reviewing contracts in response to internal and external requests
- Client relationship management with existing clients as well as forming new relationships with potential clients and helping licensed services where required once a deal has been agreed.
- Liaising with DSP’s to develop and fulfil their creative briefs.
- Maintaining / forming relationships with artist management to discuss new ideas or promotional requests from brands
- Scoping out new potential partners, and negotiating digital licences with the digital team
- Assisting with researching new digital ventures that are identified as potential partners or may already require a licence for music
- General correspondence, Excel reporting and creation / preparation of presentations on Powerpoint or similar presentation software
- A keen interest in music and the digital space
- Strong organisational skills
- Experience in dealing with commercial contracts
- Passion for music and knowledge in a wide variety of musical styles
- Confident in liaising with artist management and external clients
- Ability to manage time efficiently and work under pressure to tight deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills and professional phone manner when speaking regularly with clients, including in a negotiation setting
- Must be articulate, personable, organised with an eye for detail
- Competent in Microsoft office suite – Powerpoint, Excel, Word
- Proactive, with an inquisitive mind and great initiative
- Further education in music or significant relevant experience in a music, media or music sales environment
- Knowledge of music publishing, sync licensing and/or legal
- Experience dealing with clients in the digital space
- Previous experience of drafting legal documentation
Bonus Tracks: Your Benefits
- Group Personal Pension Scheme (between 3% and 9%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 25 paid days of annual leave
- Interest Free Season Ticket Loan
- Holiday Purchase scheme
- Dental and Travel Insurance options
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Salary Sacrifice Cars
- Subsidised Gym Membership
- Employee Discounts (Reward Gateway)
Just So You Know…
The company presents this job description as a guide to the major areas and duties for which the jobholder is accountable. However, the business operates in an environment that demands change and the jobholder’s specific responsibilities and activities will vary and develop. Therefore, the job description should be seen as indicative and not as a permanent, definitive, and exhaustive statement.