The UMC team is currently working from home due to the global pandemic and plans on going back into the office in 2021.
You must be comfortable working in a virtual/remote environment.
Universal Music Canada is Canada’s leading music company, engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content. Home to the most comprehensive catalogue of recordings and songs across every musical genre, UMC is committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship in broadening opportunities for our artists on both the domestic and world stages as well as creating new experiences for fans.
Universal Music Canada is part of Universal Music Group, the world leader in music-based entertainment.
We are searching for creative, innovative and passionate people to join our team. If you love music and got excited just thinking about joining this amazing organization, we would love to meet you!
As the Director, Urban Marketing, you are responsible to develop and lead the strategy and vision for domestic artist projects and marketing campaigns pertaining to artists and their IP. You will lead a team and work across the company to champion and drive overall projects and artist campaign execution and accountability.
- Oversee and mentor the domestic Urban marketing team
- Guide the team in creating strong domestic and global marketing campaigns that engage fans, raise visibility and drive commercial results
- Continually evaluate consumer response data on artists including consumption, radio, Shazam and artist socials in order to make informed marketing decisions and be proactive with appropriately designed campaigns
- Guide the team in the creation and development of key creative pieces, including marketing materials ranging from a variety of advertising assets to street marketing tools and various forms of content
- Be immersed and have thorough knowledge of Urban music sector and culture with experience of promoter circuit, club DJs, charts, digital and social media platforms, and grassroots/street marketing
- Manage marketing budgets that help deliver maximum visibility while also focusing on the highest return of investment
- Know how to query and speak to specific data points that are meaningful to account relations and artist/manager expectations
- Be available for all label meetings to act as a sounding board and strategist
- Work cross-functionally across all departments and with artist management
- Bring new business opportunities for both artist roster and for the company in general
- Proactively develop and grow relationships with artists, managers, agents, and other external business partners
- Other duties as assigned
- Post-secondary education preferred
- Experience strategizing and executing marketing campaigns
- Experience with cross-promotional marketing and branding
- Advanced level artist relations and/or third-party distribution experience
- 10+ years’ experience in music industry marketing and a strong knowledge of the Urban genre
- Proven ability to manage a team
- Exceptional communication skills
- Must be tech savvy with deep understanding of current and forthcoming technologies and general market trends
- Candidates should be creative, innovative, detail-oriented and resourceful
- Must be able to prioritize and multi-task
- Able to build and manage artist budgets
- Must have strong music industry relationships and vision to work with in house and 3rd party PR, Promo, Creative and Digital Marketing teams
Please apply before December 11, 2020
Universal Music Canada is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion, and strongly welcomes and encourages applications from Indigenous Peoples, black people, people of colour, women, persons with disabilities, people who are LGBTQ2S+, and people from other diverse communities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.