UNIFIED Music Group is this year celebrating our 10th year in business by continuing our rapid growth in the four key areas of operation; artist management, label services, events and merchandising. The strengthening of our teams in the US, UK and locally as well as investments in new businesses and services will continue to drive the global growth of UNIFIED.
UNIFIED Artist Management team represents domestic and international talent in the music, gaming and podcast space including Dashboard Confessional, Vance Joy, Violent Soho, Funny Business Podcast and Client Liaison. UNIFIED Recorded Music includes the globally acclaimed label UNFD with a roster of international and domestic heavy music acts, rock label Domestic La La driven by the creative genius of James Tidswell (Violent Soho), tastemaker label THAA Records and a label services team assisting some of the best independent artists in Australia. Across the group, UNIFIED is involved in supporting and investing in careers of creatives, staff and talent as it delivers festivals (UNIFY Gathering, Land of Plenty), merchandise (Super Special, Built to Spill), creative services (The Annex) and other artist services (Lonely Lands Agency).
UNIFIED is seeking an ambitious entertainment lawyer with a desire to step in to a supported role and continue their legal journey. The lawyer will be working under the supervision of an experienced legal and business affairs executive with a long term view to working autonomously managing the day to day business affairs of the group. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to advise on and assist in the execution of business strategy for the label, talent management team and other associated businesses.
This is a hands on role and would require our ideal candidate to
- Draft and negotiate group businesses agreements, including intra company agreements as well as deals with artists, distributors, songwriters, talent, licensors, and digital services amongst others.
- Provide advice and guidance in developing and implementing new business strategies in the label group.
- Provide ongoing legal advice and guidance to UNIFIED Music Group companies, including, with respect to terms of festival appearance agreements, terms of engagements with various managed talent, conflict of interest issues, digital operations, privacy, competition law issues, and other arrangements with third parties.
- Assist in management of corporate entities, including the supervision of all corporate filing and registrations globally.
- Ensure compliance with contractual and legal obligations, including the participation in the development and implementation of contract-related policies and procedures.
- Work closely with GM, Human Resources and external counsel in relation to all HR matters.
- Where appropriate advice and work with external legal counsel on specific matters.
- Build strong relationships with artists, lawyers, management companies and labels
- Keep up to date with current and future trends in music, music business, digital trends & pop culture which you think could be beneficial for the label and our artists
- Co-ordinate with royalty team in ensuring all relevant legal information is supplied for accurate reporting of all royalties.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AND DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION
UNIFIED Music Group acknowledges the traditional custodians of the land and pays respect to elders past, present and emerging. We pride ourselves on being an equal opportunity employer, with a focus on ensuring that we are engaging with and supporting the local and international communities which are close to the heart of the UNIFIED Music Group Impact Committee.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Familiarity with the music industry and independent music companies.
- At least 3 years relevant transactional legal experience preferred, that is, experience in intellectual property contracting.
- At least 3 years of music industry experience preferred.
- Active practicing certificate to practice law in Australia
- Experience as lawyer responsible for a range of matters across the music ecosystem.
- Strong negotiating, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Decision making skills that are based on ethics and integrity.
- Ability to keep abreast of legislative changes regarding copyright throughout the world.
- Experience setting internal governance policies and managing the impact of external factors.