TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Our mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy. TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, Mountain View, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo.
About the Team:
TikTok is looking for a music product counsel to join its Americas Legal team in Los Angeles. The role will be an integral resource for our global Product and Business Development teams across TikTok and other digital / mobile products and services of ByteDance which feature music, by reviewing new applications, features, functionalities and initiatives and providing guidance principally from a U.S. perspective related to legal rights implications and risk mitigation strategies. The position will work closely with and report to our Head Legal Counsel for Music Licensing.
- You will be the principal point of contact on the Americas Legal team for global Product, Marketing, User Growth, Legal and other teams with regard to assessing music rights coverage for, and legal risk implications of, new products and services and new features and functionalities of existing products and services, including TikTok, the digital music streaming service Resso and other digital / mobile properties of ByteDance.
- You will work closely with Product teams to develop a clear and articulable understanding of proposed innovations which involve the use of music, analyze the potential rights and risk implications from the perspective of our license agreements with music rights holders and applicable laws, including the Digital Millenium Copyright Act, and provide guidance to various internal stakeholders, including the Business Development team which is responsible for music licensing at ByteDance, with regard to rights coverage and risk mitigation.
- You will advise global cross-functional partners with regard to music copyright-related intellectual property rights issues mainly from a U.S. perspective and consult with other ByteDance lawyers on the music legal team and/or outside counsel, to provide co-ordinated global advice.
- You will provide pragmatic, business-focused, solution-oriented legal advice and guidance to internal stakeholders with regard to compliance with applicable contractual and statutory requirements related to music and legal and financial risks and mitigation strategies.
- Bachelor’s degree plus a Juris Doctorate from an ABA-accredited law school
- Member in good standing of the California or New York bar
- At least 5 years’ experience, in private law practice or in-house, providing product counseling to a consumer-facing digital music and / or video technology company or application, ideally including user-generated content
- Subject matter expertise – a deep and broad understanding of the digital music rights landscape in the U.S. and the Digital Millenium Copyright Act, intermediary liability and safe harbor requirements – is a pre-requisite
- Strong documentation, presentation, and communication and interpersonal skills in a cross-functional role
- Ability to work independently on many different projects at once in a fast-paced environment
- Experience working collaboratively and cross-functionally with international teams in a dynamic, fast-paced environment, with tight turn-around times and deadlines
- Entrepreneurial mindset, flexible, self-starting, hard-working, with a tolerance for working across multiple time zones outside of normal business hours
- Strategic thinker with a pragmatic, creative, risk-based approach to problem-solving
- Comfortable dealing with uncertainty and ambiguity
TikTok is committed to creating an inclusive space where employees are valued for their skills, experiences, and unique perspectives. Our platform connects people from across the globe and so does our workplace. At TikTok, our mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy. To achieve that goal, we are committed to celebrating our diverse voices and to creating an environment that reflects the many communities we reach. We believe individuals shouldn’t be disadvantaged because of their background or identity, but instead should be considered based on their strengths and experience. We are passionate about this and hope you are too. TikTok is committed to providing reasonable accommodations during our recruitment process. If you need assistance or an accommodation, please reach out to us at [email protected].