TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Our mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy. TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul and Tokyo.
Why Join Us:
At TikTok, our people are humble, intelligent, compassionate and creative. We create to inspire – for you, for us, and for more than 1 billion users on our platform. We lead with curiosity and aim for the highest, never shying away from taking calculated risks and embracing ambiguity as it comes. Here, the opportunities are limitless for those who dare to pursue bold ideas that exist just beyond the boundary of possibility. Join us and make impact happen with a career at TikTok.
About the Team:
Our legal team provides key support for all of TikTok’s innovative initiatives, state-of-the-art products, and integrated platforms servicing our global video market. TikTok is looking for a music product counsel to join its Americas Legal team. The role will be an integral resource for our global Product and Business Development teams across TikTok and other digital / mobile products and services which feature music, by reviewing new applications, features, functionalities and initiatives and providing guidance principally from a U.S. perspective related to legal rights implications and risk mitigation strategies. The position will work closely with and report to our Music Product Counsel.
– You will be a principal point of contact on the Music Legal team for various Product teams, the Music Business Development team and the Data & Rights Management team with regard to assessments of contractual music rights coverage for, and potential legal risk implications of, new products and services and new features and functionalities of existing products and services, including TikTok, the digital music streaming service TikTok Music, CapCut, SoundOn and other digital / mobile properties.
– You will work closely with Product teams to develop a clear and articulable understanding of proposed innovations which involve the use of music, analyze the potential rights and risk implications from the perspective of our music license agreements and applicable laws, including the Digital Millenium Copyright Act and Article 17 of the European Copyright Directive, and collaborate with both internal legal colleagues and outside counsel to provide coordinated global guidance to various internal stakeholders that may impact the design of products or necessitate operational changes.
– Bachelor’s degree plus a Juris Doctorate from an ABA-accredited law school
– Member in good standing of the California or New York bar
– At least 3 years’ experience, in private law practice or in-house, providing product counseling to a consumer-facing digital music and / or video technology company or application, ideally including user-generated content
– Subject matter expertise – a deep and broad understanding of the digital music rights landscape in the U.S. and the Digital Millenium Copyright Act, Article 17 of the European Copyright Directive, intermediary liability and safe harbor requirements – is a pre-requisite
– Strong written communication and interpersonal skills
– Ability to work independently on many different projects at once in a fast-paced environment
– Experience working collaboratively and cross-functionally with international teams in a dynamic environment, with tight turn-around times and deadlines
– Entrepreneurial mindset, flexible, self-starting, hard-working, with a tolerance for working across multiple time zones outside of normal business hours
– Strategic thinker with a pragmatic, creative, risk-based approach to problem-solving
– Comfortable dealing with uncertainty and ambiguity
TikTok is committed to creating an inclusive space where employees are valued for their skills, experiences, and unique perspectives. Our platform connects people from across the globe and so does our workplace. At TikTok, our mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy. To achieve that goal, we are committed to celebrating our diverse voices and to creating an environment that reflects the many communities we reach. We are passionate about this and hope you are too.
TikTok is committed to providing reasonable accommodations in our recruitment processes for candidates with disabilities, pregnancy, sincerely held religious beliefs or other reasons protected by applicable laws. If you need assistance or a reasonable accommodation, please reach out to us at Recruiting.Corp@tiktok.com.