TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Our mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy. TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul and Tokyo.
TikTok is looking for a transactional attorney with significant experience drafting and negotiating digital music licenses to join its Legal team in New York. The role will support TikTok’s Business Development team’s efforts to execute the music licensing strategy for TikTok and other TikTok-owned digital / mobile properties, by acquiring rights from record companies, aggregators, music publishers and performing rights and collective management organizations with a primary emphasis on music publishing rights-related deals and assisting with other music-related initiatives of key internal stakeholders. The position will work closely with and report to TikTok’s Head Legal Counsel for Music Licensing in Los Angeles.
- Provide ongoing legal support to the Business Development team to devise music licensing strategy and close deals necessary to scale music license coverage for TikTok and other TikTok-owned digital / mobile properties
- Review, draft and negotiate key blanket / catalogue music license agreements and other music-related contracts for Marketing, User Growth, etc. teams
- Respond promptly to legal requests from internal stakeholders
- Advise on music copyright-related intellectual property rights issues
- Provide pragmatic, business-focused, solution-oriented legal advice and guidance to internal stakeholders with regard to business and legal risks and company policies
- Coordinate with Product and Engineering teams in connection with product developments and innovations related to music usage on TikTok and other TikTok-owned digital / mobile properties
- Qualified lawyer with at least 10 years of experience negotiating and drafting complex digital music rights deals with or for digital service providers and / or UGC platforms
- Subject matter expertise with a deep and broad understanding of the digital music publishing rights landscape is a pre-requisite
- Experience working collaboratively and cross-functionally in a dynamic, fast-paced environment, with tight turn-around times and deadlines
- Entrepreneurial mindset, flexible, self-starting, hard-working
- Excellent drafting, negotiation and organizational skills, with an ability to handle a substantial volume of transactions simultaneously and prioritize among multiple urgent projects
- Strategic thinker with a pragmatic, creative, risk-based approach to problem-solving
- Comfortable dealing with uncertainty and ambiguity
- Excellent business judgment, communication and interpersonal skills