TikTok is the leading destination for short-form video. Our mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy. TikTok has offices in Los Angeles, Mountain View, Toronto, New York, Sao Paolo, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo.
About the Team:
Our legal team provides key support for TikTok’s innovative initiatives, state-of-the-art products, and integrated platforms servicing our global user base. We help our technology and business teams enable their vision by providing integrated legal guidance and support. The TikTok team is growing fast and is looking to hire a transactional attorney with significant experience drafting and negotiating digital music licenses. This is an opportunity to work at the leading edge of music licensing in the digital video and audio spaces. The role will be based in Los Angeles and support business development teams in scaling music license coverage for the video app “TikTok” and other digital / mobile properties, through license agreement transactions. The position will work closely with and report to our Head Legal Counsel for Music Licensing.
- Review, draft and negotiate a variety of music rights license agreements, including key blanket / catalogue agreements with record labels, sound recording aggregators, music publishers and collecting societies in the US and LATAM, with a primary emphasis on sound recording rights deals
- Provide pragmatic, commercially-focused, solution-oriented tactical and strategic guidance to TikTok’s business development, music operations, product and other teams on legal issues related to the myriad uses of music on TikTok and other digital / mobile properties, including music copyright, user-generated content (UGC), and “safe harbor” / Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) issues
- Qualified lawyer with at least 10 years of experience negotiating and drafting complex digital music rights deals with or for digital services, media or technology companies, with a concentration on sound recording rights license agreements
- Subject matter expertise – a deep and broad understanding of the digital music rights landscape, including “safe harbor” liability exemptions for UGC platforms – is a prerequisite
- Experience working collaboratively and cross-functionally in a dynamic, fast-paced environment, with tight turn-around times and deadlines
- Entrepreneurial mindset, flexible, self-starting, hard-working, with a willingness to work across multiple time zones outside of normal business hour
- Excellent drafting, negotiation and organizational skills, with an ability to work autonomously and handle a substantial volume of transactions simultaneously and prioritize among multiple urgent projects
- Strategic thinker with a pragmatic, creative, risk-based approach to problem-solving
- Comfortable dealing with uncertainty and ambiguity
- Excellent business judgment, communication and interpersonal skills
- Fluent in English and, ideally, Spanish and/or Portuguese
- JD degree
TikTok is committed to creating an inclusive space where employees are valued for their skills, experiences, and unique perspectives. Our platform connects people from across the globe and so does our workplace. At TikTok, our mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy. To achieve that goal, we are committed to celebrating our diverse voices and to creating an environment that reflects the many communities we reach. We believe individuals shouldn’t be disadvantaged because of their background or identity, but instead should be considered based on their strengths and experience. We are passionate about this and hope you are too. TikTok is committed to providing reasonable accommodations during our recruitment process. If you need assistance or an accommodation, please reach out to us at Recruiting.Corp@tiktok.com.