Symphonic Distribution is a 100% independent music technology and services company headquartered in downtown Tampa, FL and with a strong presence in Nashville, New York City, Los Angeles, Miami, Sao Paulo and other major markets around the world.
We focus on distributing, promoting and developing great independent music brought to us by artists, managers and record labels. Not only do we want to work with some prolific creators, we want to also work with creative, passionate, positive and forward thinking individuals! Maybe this is you? If so, then below you will find an opportunity to join Symphonic. As a company, we want to have an environment that is inclusive, diverse and accepting so that everyone, regardless of their background, race or sexual orientation has a chance to do great things in music, tech and marketing.
In a Nutshell
The General Counsel will play a pivotal role in the management of Symphonic’s legal needs, both external and internal. A key area of responsibility will be managing and negotiating the contracts between Symphonic and our DSP partners, industry organizations, and record label and artist clients. This role will be a member of the senior management team and will report directly to the CEO.
What you will do
- Negotiate the larger and more important deals with new and existing clients, working alongside the senior dealmakers and our founder/CEO, as needed
- Manage the Business Affairs function
- Manage the varied corporate and administrative legal needs of the company, coordinating with outside counsel as needed
- Monitoring and analyzing rights conflicts across platforms, with an eye for quick resolution and/or escalation as appropriate
- Liaising with and managing outside attorneys as needed for specialty situations like litigation, foreign matters, complex employment law issues, etc.
- Contract management of DSP contracts (Spotify, YouTube, etc.) as well as publishing and other industry organizations
- Contract management of artist and record label client contracts with a variety of terms in a variety of languages
- Strategize with the founder/CEO and senior management team to enhance Symphonic’s legal foundation as we scale and also grow into new areas
- Contribute to the working group focused on the build-out of an upgraded contract management software solution
- Assist with contract diligence on prospective acquisitions of operating companies and music copyrights
What you need to have
- A minimum of 10 years of experience practicing law in the music industry
- Broad contacts and relevant experience in the music industry
- Excellent written and oral communication and negotiation skills
- Engaging personality that enjoys working as a member of a team
- Excitement for helping to drive growth and improve the business in a dynamic sector
- Professionalism and respect for others
- A legal degree from an accredited law school and relevant bar admission(s)
What would be the icing on the cake?
- Written and spoken proficiency in Spanish and/or Portuguese
- Desire to live and work in Nashville, TN and the ability to work from our Nashville office on Music Row either part-time or full-time
- This position reports to the founder/CEO
- This position is remote, as needed
- Some travel will be required for conferences and occasional meetings
About Symphonic Distribution
Symphonic Distribution enables content creators to fully maximize their music’s revenue and grow their global audience. The company focuses on working with: record labels, artists, managers, producers, social media influencers, and even distributors just like us to get their messages seen and heard.
While our core business is to distribute music digitally and physically for the many talented creators that we have the honor of working with, we focus on a number of services, such as: Physical Distribution, User Generated Content Monetization on YouTube, Tik Tok, Triller, Instagram, Release Promotion such as Playlist pitching, marketing diagnostics, strategy and a number of other very important services to ensure that creators are maximizing and collecting on as many royalties as possible.
Symphonic also showcases one of the largest partnership networks available, partnering with Spotify, Apple Music, Pandora, Amazon, and many other services where music can be consumed on. Check out more about us on our website at www.symdistro.com.