Job purpose: SXSW seeks a Music Festival Programmer with a focus on Latin music (ranging from traditional to modern).
The ideal candidate is an open-minded, self-motivated, collaborative individual with a strong music industry background, comprehensive knowledge of music/genres, and an enthusiasm for identifying new talent and trends in music.
Strong communication skills, close attention to detail, and the ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment are required for this position.
Responsibilities Include but are not limited to:
- Scout and identify talent
- Grade and evaluate artist applications
- Evaluate viability of showcase presenter proposals
- Curate and program a diverse range of musical styles
- Solicit applications from artists; solicit showcase proposals from music companies, media outlets, government agencies, and others globally
- Develop and maintain working relationships with companies associated with the music industry
- Stay current on global music industry trends and technologies, rising artists, artist developments, new signings, tours, reunions, etc.
- Facilitate and maintain communication with Stage Managers and Production Managers both leading up to the event and onsite (knowledge of live production a plus)
- Source and document post-event feedback from agents, managers, presenters, and artists after the festival
On Site Responsibilities
- Work shifts with a variety of departments to support overall event staffing needs
- Frequently visit showcases to ensure that shows run smoothly
Troubleshooting problems at all stages of the production process
- Ability to work under substantial pressure, especially on-site
- Knowledge of musical genres and artists, as well as broader pop culture context
- Strong attention to detail, and communication skills
Experience working in event planning, production, and/or music industry preferred
- Solid contact database of music industry professionals
- Proficiency with common business and communication software (Microsoft Office Suite) and apps (Google Docs/Sheets/Slides, Filemaker)
- Bilingual in English/Spanish is a plus
Frequently required to sit and/or stand for long periods of time. Manual dexterity is required for keyboard and computer use. This position requires you to stay upwards of 7 consecutive days away from home.
Work Location & Schedule:
SXSW office is located in Austin, Texas. Core business office hours are Mon-Fri, 10am – 6pm. Must be available to work additional hours from January – March to include evenings and weekends. Hybrid remote/in office work available.