Stem exists to help artists navigate the business behind their music. We do this by reducing complexity, creating clarity, and providing more opportunities to exercise full control. The artists on our platform decide for themselves how their hard-earned dollars flow–whether through splits to their collaborators or by scaling their earnings to invest in their futures with no strings attached.
Our new Royalty Accounting Services Team is seeking a Head of Royalty Accounting Services with solid professional experience in Royalty Accounting and offering services to artists or labels. We are a nimble and fast moving team and highly value the ability to innovate, run, and be self-sufficient in driving the royalty accounting offering.
This role is full-time and fully remote, with occasional in-person get-togethers in Los Angeles for which we cover travel / lodging for out-of-town employees.
Stem Disintermedia is led by a driven & collaborative team from diverse backgrounds, including senior professionals from UTA, PeerStreet, Hired, Apple Music, and FlashFunders. Our highly-strategic group of investors and senior advisors include former COO of Venmo Michael Vaughan, Acorns board member and former Wealthfront CEO Adam Nash, Carta CEO Henry Ward, QED Co-founder Adams Conrad, Quality Control Music (Cardi B, the Migos and Lil Yachty) co-founder and COO Kevin “Coach K” Lee, Three Six Zero CEO Mark Gillespie, two-time NBC All-Star Baron Davis and WndrCo. Our employees include musicians, parents, activists, artists, and more – what unites us are our shared values, commitment to exceptional communication, and belief in Stem’s mission.
What you’ll do:
- Help launch and oversee the operations of the Stem royalty accounting offering.
- Guide the product development of the royalty accounting offering, including defining the offering, prioritizing features, and rolling out to customers.
- Aid the sales team with identifying target customers, and messaging; be the customer facing point of contact on the offering.
- Provide insights on customers, advise the product team on requirements, and guide the overall product roadmap.
- Generate label and artist statements and record royalty and mechanical royalty payments as well as tracking and allocating label revenues and costs.
- Onboard new clients and support existing clients.
- Be the point of escalation for ad hoc client requests. Produce ad hoc reports, research, calculations, and analytics as need by clients
- Ensure the proper registration, collection, and payment of all the applicable royalties and revenue streams.
- Experience in the implementation of new accounting software and systems.
- Grow and manage the operations team as the company scales.
- Help independent musicians stay independent, by bringing fintech to music!
Our ideal candidate has:
- 5 or more years of royalty accounting experience
- Worked in a label, or business management company
- Knowledge of music rights, royalties, and music contracts
- Successfully led a royalty accounting or finance team
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to translate and convey financial information and music royalty information to product and other teams
- Experience with Curve, Record Maestro, or other royalty accounting software.
It’s a bonus if you have:
- Provided outside royalty accounting services or business management services to labels
Technologies/Systems/Software we use:
- Royalty Account Systems (Curve / Record Maestro / Infinite Catalog)
- Google Sheets / Excel
Don’t match every skill listed? Almost nobody does! Think you’re a good fit anyway? Please let us know.
- Competitive compensation package including equity for all full-time employees. We maintain salary brackets for all career tracks to ensure equitable salaries across the company.
- 100% premiums covered for employee medical, dental, and vision (60% for dependents)
- Company 401(k) match up to 4%
- Unlimited paid time off
- Life insurance
- Student loan paydown program
- Excellent parental leave policies
**Stem is an equal opportunity employer, and more than that, actively strives to build and nurture a diverse, inclusive, and equitable team. We celebrate differences and screen for shared values rather than culture fit. We are committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.**