Spotify is looking for an experienced manager and publishing rights expert capable of leading a diverse set of business teams within our Licensing and Publishing organization.
These teams focus on licensing, rights clearances, reporting systems, business management and relationships with publishers and songwriters.
What you’ll do
- Strategy: Ability to design and lead the long-term global strategy for securing publishing rights and efficiently reporting and paying for those rights.
- Reporting and Operations: working with technical and accounting teams to design automated systems that accurately and efficiently identify and pay for publishing rights.
- Publishing Licensing: overseeing and coaching the team that negotiates agreements and fosters sound relationships with rights holders in North America.
- Rights Clearances: overseeing and coaching the team that negotiates sync, video and related rights supporting Spotify’s global podcasting and music businesses.
- Publishing Relations: working with publishers and societies globally to communicate how Spotify is evolving its business in ways that benefit songwriters and publishers.
- Collaborating: working collaboratively with legal, finance, royalty reporting and the Music teams to ensure cross-team alignment.
Who you are
- You have a vision for how to improve the way rights are licensed and cleared between streaming services and rights holders.
- You have a proven ability to build scalable technical solutions for tracking and reporting publishing rights.
- You are an excellent manager that builds trust, delivers clarity, develops people, and inspires teams.
- You possess a deep understanding of the publishing space, how it has transformed over the last 10 years and the challenges ahead.
- You are an effective negotiator with broad understanding of the intellectual property and economic terms commonly used globally to secure performance, mechanical, sound recording, video, and general entertainment rights.
- You deeply understand statutory licensing regimes, particularly in the US, and have a vision for how to work effectively with policymakers and industry to modernize these regimes.
- You have a talent for connecting with people and develop strong relationships with executives at top publishers and music labels.
- You have 10 years experience working on consumer digital entertainment services, with seven or more of those years working specifically on music related services.
- You have a BA Degree, with an MBA or JD strongly preferred
- You are willing to travel (extensively during periods).
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.