Spotify is seeking to recruit an exceptional candidate to join its licensing team in New York, NY to assist the Global Head of Publishing & Original Content Licensing with managing the strategy and implementation of its global music publishing licensing agreements.
This role will be responsible for coordinating the development of publishing strategy and infrastructure across Spotify, leading the operationalization of our global license agreements with music publishers and collection societies, and spearheading all things concerning publisher technology and data services.
This role will drive Spotify’s strategic development in the publishing space and ensure that publishing royalties flow from Spotify to the creative community. It will require cross-functional work and a deep understanding of the global publishing landscape.
What you’ll do:
- You will lead operationalizing music publishing strategy and agreements across Spotify in all markets, including deal implementation and account management of Spotify’s relationships with publishers, PROs, and societies.
- You will be responsible for scoping Spotify’s music publishing strategy together with the wider Commercial Licensing and Legal teams and ensuring that this compliments the wider licensing strategy and the company’s objectives and growth.
- You will work closely with internal stakeholders globally (finance, reporting, growth, and analytics teams) to ensure agreements resonate with the company’s long-term plans.
- You will work closely with Spotify’s data and reporting teams to ensure and enforce best practices on matching, reporting systems, royalty flows and data transparency.
- You will collaborate with R&D on efforts supporting songwriter/producer credits and other publisher data services.
- You will identify and tackle the challenges in the publishing space and define solutions to pave the way ahead.
- You will help build strategic relationships throughout the publishing community.
Who you are:
- Bachelor’s Degree required. MBA or JD preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in leading operations functions at a music publisher, digital music service, record label or collecting society.
- Deep knowledge of the global publishing space and an understanding of regional differences.
- Expert knowledge of pertinent metadata, databases, processes, technologies, how they have developed the last 10 years, and the challenges ahead.
- The ability to build and maintain good relations internally and externally in the industry – a talent for connecting with people is key.
- A self-starter with excellent commercial skillset.
- Good experience with and understanding of the tech and media sectors, preferably relating to music.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to understand and explain financial models.
- A world-class team leader and team player.
- The ability to adapt quickly. The industry is changing fast and it is critical to be able to adapt to new market conditions and circumstances.
- A willingness to travel.
- Well-organized with the ability to plan and deliver on tight deadlines with attention to detail.
- You are fluent in English. Business-fluency in a second language is a plus.
- You are a huge music fan and a daily Spotify user.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.