The Editorial department is looking for an Editor to join the Urban Music Editorial team in the US. This role will be focused on Spotify’s Frequency vertical highlighting black creators and cultural programming as well as assisting in hip-hop curation.
What You’ll Do
- Manage editorial playlists around genres, subgenres and cultural moments targeting diverse demographics within the Black audience for deeper engagement.
- Identify cultural moments and content gaps and manage the Frequency destination.
- Collaborate with partners (Music Marketing, Label Partnerships, Artist Partnerships) to maintain a cultural calendar for all relevant North American initiatives that will increase engagement with Black audiences.
- Manage cross-functional execution of Frequency’s editorial strategy for popular, globally relevant new releases.
- Set and implement processes for successful and clear internal communication and cross functional-collaboration with core partners (Editorial Design, ALP, Music Marketing, Comms etc.) to implement hub campaigns.
- Work closely with Partnerships and Business Developments teams to implement culturally appropriate sales partnerships that might include playlist takeovers, sponsored shelves, and influencer driven campaigns.
- Work closely with music teams from all around the world to elevate locally relevant music and distribution of programming and local adaptations.
- Advise and provide editorial assets for on/off platform promotion, playlist covers, social media posts, etc.
- Curate playlists that are part of Spotify’s broader hip-hop ecosystem in the US, growing audience engagement and loyalty on platform.
Who You Are
- You have at least 5+ years of experience in the music industry, programming music for a streaming service, TV, radio, or other media networks, where connecting and serving audiences with artists, creators and music in today’s music landscape has been an integral part of your job and mission.
- You have a deep knowledge of music, entertainment and culture when it concerns Black music across genres and the music marketplace in general, and you are also an expert when it comes to knowledge of relevant artists, festivals, history, newcomers, influencers – basically everything to do with the diverse lifestyle and culture there. You have particularly deep knowledge of hip-hop and Afrobeats.
- You are skilled at understanding data and seeking out insights to improve and optimize the work that you do.
- You are extraordinarily organized, communicative, collaborative, care about attention to detail, have a team spirit, strong work ethic, and a friendly, warm attitude.
- You have the ability to assume responsibility for large critical initiatives, and understand how to set up, organize and run complex projects and report on/present the results.
Where You’ll Be
- You will be working out of the Los Angeles office
- The United States base range for this position is $63,855 – 91,221 plus equity. The benefits available for this position include health insurance, six month paid parental leave, 401(k) retirement plan, monthly meal allowance, 23 paid days off, 13 paid flexible holidays, paid sick leave. These ranges may be modified in the future.